Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 04:37 PM

Default 7/8b hand 9 - LAST ONE

I am really trying to up my level of aggression in stud/8, since I think I had fallen into a bit of a weak tight rut. Am I taking it too far here?

(Note: the hands appear in reverse chronological order, since I posted them straight from my LIFO email. I don't think that matters, but if you are thinking I am not weak tight from hands 1-8, I was really trying to find a better aggression level this session. Also, I was going to book a nice little win not long after the first hand I posted, since I had about a two hour 2 tabling session and was starting to get tired. I took a hit on a hand, and played a little longer, got a little stuck, and all told played about 1.5 hours longer than I had planned far from at the top of my game and ran/played poorly turning a nice little session into a nightmare session. In games I don't really know my ability and am still learning I seem to be much more apt to play when stuck. I don't do this in games where I am completely comfrotable. I doubt I will play this high again until I fix this leak, or get really comfortable with 7/8b, since I have been kicking myself for the past two days over this. To contrast, I took a shot at the 30/60 2-7 tripple draw game and lost more than I had planned to, but felt fine afterwards because I knew I had a nice edge in the game and was playing my A game. Sorry about the ramble here, this was the first notable tilting I've done in a long time and I am still pissed at myself for falling into such a silly trap.)

7 Card Stud High-Low ($10/$20), Ante $1, Bring-In $3 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___completes___calls
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (6.60 SB)

Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls

5th Street - (6.30 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (9.30 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls

River - (15.30 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

Total pot: (18.30 BB)
Old 11-09-2005, 04:42 PM

Default Re: 7/8b hand 9 - LAST ONE

i'm no stud8 expert but i like every street.

6th street you kind of have to grit your teeth out and bet there even though you know you're up against a low and probably have to call a raise, but you have to protect your high and trap the other guy at the same time by betting.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:12 AM

I like a limp on third. On fourth, you're up against a couple of pretty strong boards. I think I chicken-call here. By fifth, it looks like you're only playing for the high half of the pot. I would check and call one bet here. On sixth, you have a fairly weak high hand, a pretty dead re-draw for high. I think it's fairly likely that you're drawing dead for low. I think I check and call here as well. On the river, I definitely only check and call. In order for betting to have any value, either you have to get called by two worse high hands, or you have to get called by one hand that you scoop. I just don't see that happening.

But at least you were aggressive. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2005, 02:42 AM

I think you reall need to check fourth and consider folding. THe pot is somewhat big but they both caught fairly decent. however you will close the action so a case could be made for taking one off. With that being said, you have no reason to bet fifth either. Yeah you have a nice draw for high, but at least one of your opponents has to have made a low and a better one than you are drawing to at that. THe bet on sixth is alright I guess because you might be ahead for high, but I would still probably check. Seventh I cry and call and see if my two pair are any good.

Scags
Old 11-10-2005, 10:08 AM

Default Results

I over did the aggression here. Still trying to find the range on that. There was 8's over in one hand and a low in the other.

Edit - the thought behind completing is that the hand is pretty good HU, and I wanted to thin out the field as much as possible (and there were a lot of high cards behind me).
Old 11-12-2005, 02:05 AM

Before I see the results: 3rd st:I like this hand better than the other 8-type hands that you've been playing. If you're going to come in with it, the raise is right,imo. But, it looks like you got got caught. 4th:Easy boy. Whoa. 5th:Speed kills. 6th:This is getting expensive. 7th:Whew. What a ride!