Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 08:44 AM

Default Down to 5 handed... A 9 o in MP

I have A9 o in a 10 player SNG. It is now down to 5 handed and blinds are 100/200 and I have about 1200. Guy in EP goes all-in AGAIN and has me covered by a little bit. Do I call this ?

Thanks.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:22 AM

Default Re: Down to 5 handed... A 9 o in MP

I'd fold most of the time. If he's been able to go all-in several times without being called then it seems like the table is playing pretty tight. If so you should be able to steal often enough that you don't need to gamble in a situation like this.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:34 AM

Well, I ended up being nearly blinded away since this was my last encounter with an ace and last best hand that I got. All I got after that was 26, 5 2, and a bunch of other junk and ended up calling in the BB to an all-in from MP with KT. MP had A 3 so it was almost a coin flip I think.

I ended up folding and I'm glad someone agrees that a fold is good here because I had my doubts. He showed 88 but I would have hit a 9 on the flop and won the hand. Problem with me calling or pushing here was I had a huge stack on my left that was absolutely crazy. She ended up pushing as well with A 5 but missing completely and doubling him up. Oh, was I happy. That bitch basically cost me money. She kept doubling up all the short stacks. Every single one of them. Her handle was luckygirl.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:46 PM

You say he's gone all in again. What does that mean? Is he pushing every hand, every other hand, what exactly? What range of hands do you put him on? Is 88 a much stronger hand that you expected him to have, or is it consistent with the hands he has shown down after pushing? Against guys who I know are blind stealing with any two, I'd call in a heartbeat, but if the best I can hope for is a coinflip, then I'd fold. Very player dependant. The kicker is you are getting shortstacked yourself (6 BB is all you have left), so you need to make a move yourself. Based on the information you gave though, I don't know how I would have played it.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:51 PM

fold is definitely fine.

you'd MUCH rather be pushing A9 than calling w/ A9.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:57 PM

You really have to learn to put him on a range to be able to answer.

eastbay
Old 03-29-2005, 02:25 PM

Easy Fold. What do you beat? If the guys got a pair under 9, you got a coinflip, any pair above 9 or a better ace and your crushed. Maybe he would make the move w/ something like a q/k or k/j (which isn't likely coming out of early position) but you still are only a slight favorite to win the pot w/ 1 overlay. You didnt say anything about your being in the blinds so there is no incentive there. I fold and wait. I understand you short stack status, but your saying this clowns moving his chips around a lot, which in the sit and go w/ the blinds as high they are, means he's gonna get busted, or get some1 else busted leaving you 1 player off the money. You got enough chips to see at least 6 or 7 more hands comfortably. I like just waiting it out, after those 6 or 7 hands, then you are desperate. Making a move an a/9 a hell of a lot easier to make. But for the time being by just folding, i like your odds of getting paid.

6_4