Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2005, 11:32 PM

Default best book for tighter limit games

i am wondering what is the best book for tighter games?? that's basically my simple question, you could skip the rest if you want!

is it ciaffone??.. that matt maroon book seemed like it was fairly good for tight games too

i have just changed poker sites in the last week from a sports-book/poker to a major site, and frankly i find the games fairly tight. i think alot of people are multi-tabling

i am more accustomed to loose-passive games but very little availability. thought i'd move to big site to get more selection, but i can just feel the people multi-tabling tight play.

for instance, i almost never see 6 players see the flop. alot of times it's 3-4 or even less. i know miller has the 3-5 player strategy, but my sense is it's a little too loose. great stuff for loose passive games though.

the games on the new site i've found aggressive at times too.

i think i really need to improve my post-flop play and i also really need to watch position more in tight games. raising from big blinds with AK can get painful when you miss the flop. although maybe i just had extended bad luck.

anyhow, which are the best books for tighter games?

maybe they weren't really tight, but i'm used to nice 4-6 player see the flop games. this was more like 2.5 to 4 see the flop.. with the loose passive, it's so easy to throw away your hand when you miss the flop, but in tighter game, you aren't getting the giant pots, so you need to win more pots and the flop will often miss your opponent too.

won't tell you the site, you'd laugh at me!

thanks in advance for any responses!!
Old 11-26-2005, 11:50 PM

Default Re: best book for tighter limit games

I would go with MLH and HPFAP. Those should cover you pretty well. Maybe Yao's book too.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would go with MLH and HPFAP. Those should cover you pretty well. Maybe Yao's book too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-27-2005, 05:45 AM

Play Poker Like the Pros. I am not kidding. His limit approach works extremely well in tight games. It will get you slaughtered though in average or loose games.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Play Poker Like the Pros. I am not kidding. His limit approach works extremely well in tight games. It will get you slaughtered though in average or loose games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeh, he presents the advice like it is for beginners, but the tight/aggressive approach he suggests works best for tight games.

I think that book takes a lot of abuse because of the LMHE advice. It is better than its reputation. The sections on tournament play are good as far as they go.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:37 PM

There are a lot of good books, but based on your description, I think the best book is Middle Limit Hold 'em Poker by Ciaffone and Brier. They take you through every phase of the game, from pre-flop to the river, with numerous sample hands that are explained step by step.

It will take your limit hold 'em game to another level.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...p;link_code=as1