Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2005, 04:21 AM

Default PLO8 with A2AT, put all in on turn...call this bet?

Hello everyone. I'm rather new to PLO8 and was wondering what people thought of this hand. I might have misplayed it PreFlop and on the Flop, but I was more concerned with the Turn...what should I do here?

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha/8, $0.25 BB (7 handed) converter

UTG ($23)
MP1 ($50.65)
MP2 ($4.50)
CO ($6.90)
Button ($23)
Hero ($39.20)
BB ($51.15) He(villian) plays pretty loose preflop, as do most of the players at this table.

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $0.25, Button calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, BB calls $0.75, MP1 folds, CO calls $0.75, Button calls $0.75.

Question 1: Is this a good sized bet for this type of hand? I kinda wanted people to stay in(though if they folded oh well) and figured this was a good value-sized bet. Should I be putting more in here?

Flop: ($4.25) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $10.05</font>, CO folds, Button folds, Hero calls $8.05.

Again, I felt like I should have bet this out and I did. Is this the correct size bet or should I have put a bit more in, or even check? When I'm raised I know BB has the straight at a minimum...

Turn: ($24.35) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $23.15</font>, Hero ???

Ok, I'm getting 2 to 1 on my money and I have a nut flush and a nut low draw here. Is this a no brainer? He was in the BB so he could have called with random crap, so I wasn't sure if he was set up for a redraw or not...any advice would be appreciated.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:57 AM

Default Re: PLO8 with A2AT, put all in on turn...call this bet?

Looks like a fold to me, based on the math. Best case scenario he's got a bare QJ, and you're hardly priced in even then. If he has A2QJ you're lit up.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:56 PM

Preflop- Looks fine to me. You're giving great odds to opponents with this raise, but you want more money in the pot, and dont want to discourage too many opponents. This hand plays well multiway and shorthanded.

Flop- Dont like making a smallish bet like this. Bet the pot if you're going to bet. Given the circumstances, Its a tough decision. You're getting 2-1 odds on your money, and 4-1 to make your nut flush. (tad less b/c of extra spade in your hand) You are 3-1 to make your backdoor nut low. (by the river, however, since you of cource cant make it on the turn.) Your outs to trip A's or T's are most likley not going to be good here. I fold this, as you are probobly going to face a big bet after you check the turn. (which is what happened)

Turn- 23 outs at the most, (flush, low draw, trip A's) probobly less than this. Another marginal call. Getting 2-1 on your money, but Im cutting my losses now. Im making a tough fold once again.

Note: Im not an O8 expert, so take it for whats its worth. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Also, I didnt run this against projected/expected hands.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:05 PM

I'd call, seems tough to be down worse than 2:1 here
Old 09-24-2005, 05:34 PM

Raise the max preflop and expect callers, especially at this level. As you played it, you are probably borderline for having the equity to call. For example:

As Ts 2s Ac 0.325
7c 4c Qd Jd 0.675

So, a good, non-scared player will call in this situation, since it is most likely a coin flip, and you might have some implied odds. (e.g., if he has a lower flush draw or a low spade hits, he might pay off a river bet.)
Old 09-24-2005, 09:46 PM

Noticed the turn raise puts you allin. You can call if you're a gambler, but folding is probably equal EV-wise.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:43 PM

Notice what happens when he's against A2QJ, though, or the coup de gras, A2QsJs. He drops to about 20%. If there's a meaningful chance that he doesn't have a straight, it's probably a call, though.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Notice what happens when he's against A2QJ, though, or the coup de gras, A2QsJs. He drops to about 20%. If there's a meaningful chance that he doesn't have a straight, it's probably a call, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I ran the numbers on that hand. But that is the ONLY hand where the stats are that much in Villians favor. I could have as much as 40% in a few other hands that I ran after the fact.

And there is no way in hell I could put someone on A2QsJs anyway? That is the ONLY hand that really doesn't give me the odds to call.

I ended up calling if anyone cares, and he showed QJ7cTc I believe, I'd have to double check. I called and lost, oh well. I'll make coinflip calls like that all day and night.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

But that is the ONLY hand where the stats are that much in Villians favor. I could have as much as 40% in a few other hands that I ran after the fact.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ha, yes I know, I specifically said that. Out of curiousity which hand was 60/40, I didn't catch that one.
[ QUOTE ]

And there is no way in hell I could put someone on A2QsJs anyway? That is the ONLY hand that really doesn't give me the odds to call.

[/ QUOTE ]
There's a few more, but looking at some more hand samples, I agree that it's probably around 50/50. Better if there's a possibility of a non-straight hand. You seem a little torqued, though, I don't know what's up with that, since you did ask for advice. Maybe I'm misreading things, though.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:02 AM

I'm sorry if I came off that way, I certainly didn't mean anything.