Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Re: When your a losing player

[ QUOTE ]
Oh and by the way I just got sucked out (again)in a 10+1 sng on Stars
I have AKs against AJ. Im in EP raise 4x, reraised by loose player w/ AJo (we're on the bubble for money)
flop = x J K, turn = J river = x
Please try anfd explain why your so damned special and im the shithead who always takes the beats. You want to call me a weak player fine, but please explain to me why making that play makes me a weak player. Are strong players better at getting lucky?
More than anything I hate how this game has drained my love for cardplaying, it makes me sick to my stomach to even think about regrouping and starting over with a positive mindset, i know for a fact it will be shattered by the complete illusion that is poker. Sickness just complete sickness right now

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, you are complaining because a marginally worse hand beat you. It happens to everyone.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:53 PM

3- 6 and cheap, one-table SNG's, sorry
Old 09-14-2005, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Again, you are complaining because a marginally worse hand beat you. It happens to everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are yu telling me w/ a straight face that after reraising w/ a dominated hand (24.7% chance of winning according to Cardplayer.com odds calculator) and then drawing to 2 outs after the flop (9.2% of winning) that my hand was only "slightly" better. I can understand saying that preflop, Aj is a 4 -1 dog, but after the flop? C'mon bro
Old 09-14-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Are yu telling me w/ a straight face that after reraising w/ a dominated hand (24.7% chance of winning according to Cardplayer.com odds calculator) and then drawing to 2 outs after the flop (9.2% of winning) that my hand was only "slightly" better. I can understand saying that preflop, Aj is a 4 -1 dog, but after the flop? C'mon bro

[/ QUOTE ]

AKs is a 3-1 favorite preflop - and from what I am seeing, there was no betting after the flop - so it makes no difference.

Nevertheless, these are not exceptionally long odds. They are just the nature of the game.

I read posts like yours all the time and all I think is that you really don't seem to understand that this is gambling. Your having the better hand before the flop is no guarantee that you are going to win. Using the example here, it only means that you will win 3 out of 4 times - but 1 out of 4 times you WILL LOSE. It isn't just happening to you - it happens to everyone. Perhaps you happen to be getting hit with a lot of bad beats all at once - which can hurt - but that doesn't change the fact that these hands will, in the long run, tend to win.

Its called a downswing and it happens to everyone. If you can't handle the downswing, then you probably shouldn't be gambling.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:05 PM

People play complete garbage at 2-4 & 3-6 limits, so expect bad beats.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:20 PM

I've gone through the same questions in my head. While I can't yet say I'm a consistent/winning player, This is what I came up with and has helped me

1) My mental state. I spend a lot of time in hotels and play after work because its my only entertainment. Problem is I'm exhaused and don't always give full concentration. All I was doing was playing my own cards and when you only play your own cards, the very best you can do is break even.

2) I tilted. We've all taken those beats. There are a lot worse stores too, believe me. Amidst a losing run, whenever i took a beat, i sunk into the "This can't happen to me again" mentality and kept chucking in my chips only never to come back.

3) Game Selection. Some games are VERY tough. if few people see each flop and few pots go unraised preflop, its a tough game. Also, If you think everbody is always bluffing, Leave the table!

4) Review your hand history's a day or two after a session You will discover some problems.

5) Stop playing marginal hands. You want winning hands, not good second best hands.

Another thing is you need to get the visualization of what a winning session/run looks like. Simply put you have to save bets/win extra bets. Look at the win rates people post here. Mostly Single digits for 100 hands.

By simply not calling two river bets out of a hundred hands, you could increases your win rate 2BB/100 hands. Me, I've begun thinking of win rates as I do my golf score. Mostly trying to save strokes and then lick my chops when I get a wide fairway and unprotected green [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Hope my own observations & visualization helps...
Old 09-14-2005, 03:24 PM

In the game of poker, not everyone can be a winning player.

The fact that you've been at it for 3 years now and still cant beat the lower limits must be pretty depressing. The level of play at is pretty damn low, so i figure you must be complete [censored].

You sound like the kind of player everyone dreams to sit beside. Raises preflop, and can't get away from the hand if they hit so much as top pair.

My advice would be to quit, but in the back of my mind, im rooting for you to keep playing. Preferably at party, 1/2 or 2/4 limit 6max tables.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:49 PM

Also, I like how bullshit when you say s.o.b. and that poker is a [censored] joke.

Why the double-standard?
Old 09-14-2005, 10:46 PM

Default To the OP

To the OP:

Aside from your run of bad luck, I'm seeing a major factor as to why you may not be a winning player as of yet.

You are playing:

1) Limit
2) No Limit
3) Cash Games
4) Tournaments

These are all different ways to play hold'em, but they are pretty much all different games strategy-wise. Would you expect to be a winning player if you were trying to become an expert at omaha, stud, and low ball all at the same time? Of coarse not. Some can. Most of the sucessful ones probably got good at multiple games one at a time though.

Time to get a focus man. My advice is to pick limit or no limit, and pick cash or tourneys.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
.5/1 is mathematically the same game as 1000/2000.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if I agree with that completely.

You and I might be able to play the same way at any level, but many other people aren't. Because of this, you may have to change your game slightly.