Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2005, 01:02 AM

Default Re: Open limping the button w/K9o? Still trying to draw a bright line...

[ QUOTE ]
this is probably an ok spot to do this. I'd be more apt to do it with QJ or QT where I have less showdown value though. if you raise it's going to be a pretty big pot 3 ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is interesting to me... Do you see other specific hands that you might be open limping here sthief? Any particular thought processes going through your head (either in addition to what I have below, or perhaps in contradiction to it if I'm off base somewhere?). My main interest here is really hashing out the concept Sklansky has in his short treatment of very loose blinds, and lining the concept up with the 3/6 and 5/10 games.

I've thought about the matter since posting yesterday, and think really there's no question about open raising K9o OTB. On the more general point, I think I still feel like raising a wide range of other hands, but having re-read the relevant section of HEPFAP, believe hands like J9s, A4o, and Q9o can and should be open limped against very loose blinds who tend to pay off on later streets when beaten.

To wackjob, I appreciate your references, though many of your comments confused me (c/r pre-flop???). Reasons for open limping versus very loose blinds (and ONLY versus very loose blinds) include:

-limiting our investment with marginal hands that will miss a lot of flops and be worthless when called UI.

-keeping the pot small in order to make it easier for us to manipulate odds postflop via bets/raises

-add a handful (and there probably aren't really too many) of marginal hands to our routine that have some value. Every time we skip on value, we lose money. I don't know how much value we gain by playing these hands properly, but I assume for an online player who logs >10K hands per month it is possibly a sizeable number of bets. I want those bets.