Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-29-2005, 11:55 AM

Default 2/4 NL, am I a tilt monkey?

I'm a big fan of raising with suited connectors from all sorts of positions. However, I'm now also starting to call some raises with suiteds and I'm putting myself into some tricky situations. Here's one of them...

Villain in this hand seems to be entering a lot of pots but not raising very frequently. Post flop he seems to overplay his hands.

Folded to villain (513) in MP who raises to 15, I (I cover) call in LP with 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Flop: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Pot: 35ish

He bets 20, I call (Is calling here ok?)

Turn: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Pot: 75ish
He checks, I don't like this card, but I bet 50 anyway. He calls.

River: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Pot: 175ish
He checks, I check

Comments on all streets appreciated.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:00 PM

Default Re: 2/4 NL, am I a tilt monkey?

Value bet the river, looks like he has TT-KK.

I usually muck suited connecters to raises tho, unless the the circumstances are perfect (ie. i have position and i know i can win the pot UI or i can draw cheaply b/c the raiser is a donkey).

Flop and turn might be fine, opponent dependant.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:15 PM

I think calling the flop is fine since you have position.

I would check or pot the turn.

Value bet the river if you can get away from a re-raise.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:37 PM

If villain is weak on the flop, then I like a re-raise here in LP and then try to take it down on the flop. I don't terribly mind a call here, but I'd like flat calling when I get better implied odds with suited connectors in multi-ways from LP.

His bet of 20 screams of a continuation bet, so you really should raise the flop here and try to take it down. Too many overcards on the turn and you don't have one of them.

The "A" could have helped your opponent, but then he does something odd here and checks. OK, so you bet out 50, which is a good sized bet considering how villain has played the hand thus far. Also, you have some outs. I think his check/call indicates that either he is afraid of the A and has 66 or 88, he hit his A with a smallish kicker or he's frustrated and is chasing the flush. Instead of betting 50, I bet the pot. Whatever the case, he's not strong.

The one thing I worry about sometimes in these scenarios is when players overplay their hands, sometimes this "A" will help them and I will lose $$. However, there are too many draws on the board for player to see a free river, you probably have the best hand at this point, and you are getting some outs on the river to cover you. So, betting out on the turn here is OK.

Your check on the river is reasonable. Equally reasonable is a bet of 50-70. I doubt you get re-raised and you only have to be right ~33% of the time to profit. Tough decision, the check is fine.

Oh yeah, and you're not a tilt monkey as long as you read your opponent for his hands. I like playing with lots of suited connectors myself, you just have to pick your spots and your opponents well when doing it.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Value bet the river, looks like he has TT-KK.

I usually muck suited connecters to raises tho, unless the the circumstances are perfect (ie. i have position and i know i can win the pot UI or i can draw cheaply b/c the raiser is a donkey).

Flop and turn might be fine, opponent dependant.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I agree with what is implied here. Small sc are played for deception value, and you should be thinking of a good hand as two pair and winning a small pot as opposed to picking off a stack. Each game has it's own "rhythm". After a while you start to pick up on the individual styles, and there may be one dancing to his own music. This is when you can start bringing these hands in for a raise. And of course, who said you needed a hand to make a raise?

A river bet is in order here. You have a concealed hand, a flush made, and villain is most likely on pp, but could be AK, AQ, etc.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

His bet of 20 screams of a continuation bet, so you really should raise the flop here and try to take it down.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you open raise you represent a strong hand. Could be AA,KK or TT. When the flop comes rags, or a paint and two rags since you have represented strength a CB will often take the pot down. when you open raise you have made a committment to fire at almost any flop.

Garland has taught me to keep track of individual CB's. Not always, but often (thats why you keep notes) a failure to make a CB with a weak flop is a sign of weakness, and making a CB followed by a turn check is often a sign of weakness. Attack weak plays and attack weak players.