Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Software

Old 12-27-2005, 04:24 PM

Default IPod as hard drive for PT

I was thinkin on buying a 60gig Ipod in general. I use an external hd to hold my pokertracker databases. I play on both my laptop and desktop so I'd plug it in to grab my stats and laod the hands on the fly etc.

Question is:

Can I use an IPod for this same function. Can I save the databases on Pokertracker onto the IPod and have it read and send data back and forth as a hard drive? I'd like to auto receive the hands and have stats updated and it constantly reading hands and relaying the data to pokerace etc.

The IPod will show up as the H: drive or whatever so could I just point PT and Pokerace to this drive and the hand histories will be saved there?

The external hd is too bulky and needs to be plugged into the wall. I would rather just use the IPod as it is much smaller and doesnt need an outlet.

Is this possible?
Old 12-27-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Re: IPod as hard drive for PT

Yes, you could use the iPod. It would get slow though, the iPod's harddrive is not nearly as fast at the normal internal / external drives.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:37 PM

What do you mean by slow? It would take longer for PT to update every minute? Would you be better off setting PT to grab new hands every 5 mins as opposed to 1? I assumed it didnt have 7200 RPM's but I didnt know if if is really practical or by you saying it is slow but will work, if it is efficient. Will it cause my computer to stall or crash poker tracker or something in the midst of sending data back and forth off of it?

Also, is it more likely that the ipod will break from such use?
Old 12-27-2005, 06:30 PM

I use my iPod to store HH files/databases that I transfer between my laptop and desktop, but I copy them to the computer's hard drive before loading them, rather than load them straight from the iPod's hard drive. I agree with OrcaDK that loading them from the iPod's hard drive would slow down PT (maybe even by a lot), though I'm not so sure.

Another problem is that I've had files stored on my iPod that were somehow deleted without me touching them. I'm not sure what caused this, be it iTunes or whatnot, but you should definitely look into this before storing irreplecable data on your iPod.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:39 PM

Yeah, PT would take longer to import the hands, show the data and such. This will also include PA Hud / PV / GT+. It will most likely work, and it won't cause your computer to stall, at worst PT will stall.

Theoretically yes, the iPod will sustain an increased wear, but i doubt it'll be noticable. There'll be a new iPod or ten out by the time this one breaks anyway [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]