Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-02-2005, 06:12 PM

Default Horray, 1st 10-20 hand post

Villian is 43/12/2.1 400 hands and nothing special, he seems kinda straight forward and the kind of player, I am trying to deviate from being myself.

Ultimate Bet 10/20 Hold'em (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
3 folds, Hero raises, SB 3-bets, 1 fold, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero bets</font>, SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
SB bets, Hero raises, SB 3-bets, Hero caps</font>, SB calls.

River: (13.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
SB bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15.50 BB

I have been trying to incorporate this more at 10-20 instead of being so straightforward and people are lot more willing to play back at you in the blinds. I remember James282 posting something about playing hands like this although I think it was just in a heads up game. Comments?
Old 12-02-2005, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Horray, 1st 10-20 hand post

Even though I've under-represented my hand here, I'm calling down after the 3 bet given his flop line. I do this a lot with AA/KK.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:04 PM

After he 3-bets the turn, I go into calldown mode
Old 12-02-2005, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even though I've under-represented my hand here, I'm calling down after the 3 bet given his flop line. I do this a lot with AA/KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

you call down after he 3-bet you on flop? I think this is weak.. I call down after the 3-bet on turn..
Old 12-02-2005, 09:47 PM

Actually, I'd fold when he makes it 3 bets pre-flop... Of course I'm talking about the turn.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:11 AM

First of all: CAP PREFLOP. Whenever you don't cap AA preflop, you're leaving a half bet at the table. Unless, you feel VERY comfortable with post-flop play ... and as you can see here .... you aren't.

The rest of the hand plays differently from there.

Nevertheless, my preferred postflop line in situations like this is to simply call the villains flop check-raise. Then raise his turn bet.

Now, had I *capped* preflop, I would simply call down after villains Turn 3-bet. But here it's a little more difficult ... but I'd still simply call down after turn 3-bet.

As you can see, when you don't cap AA preflop we deviate from the fundamental theorem of poker. More importantly, we leave ourselves increasingly susceptible to more major deviations from the Theorem post-flop. Bad, bad, bad.

Adam
Old 12-03-2005, 01:18 AM

I'm going to agree with adam here.

While not capping certainly isn't that big of a mistake in and of itself, it can lead to complete spewage like this where we feel "he doesn't know I have Aces!" while in reality he's thoroughly represnting a hand that can beat 1 pair.

I'd recommnend flatcalling 3bets with premiums when you are against a player who is A) TAGy B) quite observant C) a good hand reader and D) one whom you will clash with often.

It's just a waste otherwise IMO. This guy doesn't know you have aces. There are plenty of lagtards in these games who cap all sorts of crap, and he doesn't know that you are a TAG most likely. The beauty of these aggressive games is that you don't have to work hard at deceiving your opponents about strong holding because noone believes you anyway.

As it stands I 3bet the flop. If a player is more predictable i'll wait till the turn, but that would be if I expected to be able to confidently fold to a 3bet, which is not clear here at all. With a stronger holding waiting for the turn is better because we make an extra SB, but with a 1-pair hand it's cheaper to get reraised on the flop where I can call down from there and put a raise in if i improve and deem my hand worth a raise vs his range.

Surf
Old 12-03-2005, 07:04 AM

I'll go out on a limb here and say I think you played it fine postflop. As everyone else says cap pf duh.

Postflop though, that checkraise is almost never a set and is usually something like KK or another very strong one pair hand like AJ. Given that and that you raised the deuce on the turn that made a flush draw (and look very suspicious) I think the cap is fine. When you cap a street it gets you a very honest reaction on the next street. If he bets you should probably just call, had he checked you would bet of course.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

While not capping certainly isn't that big of a mistake in and of itself, it can lead to complete spewage like this where we feel "he doesn't know I have Aces!" while in reality he's thoroughly represnting a hand that can beat 1 pair.

I'd recommnend flatcalling 3bets with premiums when you are against a player who is A) TAGy B) quite observant C) a good hand reader and D) one whom you will clash with often.

It's just a waste otherwise IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure you and Adam agree? It sounds like Adam would cap this preflop against all opponents. Is this right, Adam?
Old 12-03-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It's just a waste otherwise IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure you and Adam agree? It sounds like Adam would cap this preflop against all opponents. Is this right, Adam?

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. Cap preflop against any opponent here - for reasons I've already specified above.

Adam