Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 04:30 AM

Default 3 Showboat hands

Two hands are mine. The other is a friend of mine that I witnessed at the 1/2 NL hold'em tables at The Showboat tonight in Atlantic City.

Hand 1: This is my fourth hand of the night. I've folded the first three and still have the $220 I bought in with. I look down at two black kings. I raise the standard, $15, and there is a fold and a min raise to $30. I call the $15 and re-raise $50. Villain, a senior citizen, stares me down and makes the call. I ask how much he has left and he counts out $89.

Flop: J 10 9 (rainbow). Action is on hero. What do I do?

What do I do preflop?

Second hand: Moved to a different table and am at $89 in chips. UTG (120 dollars) who has somewhat loose raising standards but plays tight after the flop raises to $10. I have AQo. The table has been loose preflop so I figured I would call and see a flop. People had been calling re-raises with suited connectors. Maybe I should have pushed but I had to respect UTG. Cutoff (appox. 180 dollars) calls and the button (approx 160) calls. These are the two loosest players at the table. Four to the flop.

Q 10 5 (two clubs). UTG checks. Hero bets $25. Cutoff calls. Button and the original raiser UTG fold.

Turn: K hearts, hero checks (awful check???) and villian pushes me all in for 54 more. Hero???

3rd hand: This is my friends hand. He is dealt KK and is in MP. He has $240 in chips. One limper in front who has $340. His table has been much tighter than my table. He raises the standard $15 with the cowboys. Quickly folds back to the limper, who is in UTG+1. He calls the $13 more.

Flop: Q 5 3 (two clubs).

Villain checks. Hero bets $20. Villain minraises to $40. Hero calls the $20 and raises $80 more. Villian contemplates and makes the call.

Turn: 8 spades. Villain pushes Hero in for $120 more. What does hero do?
Old 12-11-2005, 02:19 PM

Default Re: 3 Showboat hands

Any thoughts on any of these hands, guys? I was really interested to hear about these.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:29 PM

Hand 1 - Push...Even if your behind, you have outs with a Q for a straight.

Hand 2 - Tough spot b/c you say these are the 2 loosest players at the table. If you have seen him do this before with a flush draw, maybe you can call, but I'm inclined to lay it down. Just too many hands that beat our 1 pair.
Re-buy and wait for a better spot.

Hand 3 - clear fold to me. Tight player calls our big raise on the flop and then pushes on a blank turn...I think our KK is no good.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:21 PM

Hand #1 - Scary flop for KK, but you don't have much behind. I would probably out the rest in here, but not feel too good about it. Reraise more preflop.

Hand #2 - Make a PSB on the flop and get the rest in on the turn.

Hand #3 - No reason to 3bet that flop. Since he did...clear fold on the turn. I would expect to see a set of 3s or 5s from villain.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:53 PM

What do you guys put on the villain with a min raise to 15 and then the call to 50? What should I have re-raised to after the minraise? $80-100?
Old 12-11-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1: This is my fourth hand of the night. I've folded the first three and still have the $220 I bought in with. I look down at two black kings. I raise the standard, $15, and there is a fold and a min raise to $30. I call the $15 and re-raise $50. Villain, a senior citizen, stares me down and makes the call. I ask how much he has left and he counts out $89.

Flop: J 10 9 (rainbow). Action is on hero. What do I do? What do I do preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]
I would push here. Without reads, I would guess he likely has high cards or a low-mid pair he didn't want to fold. Odds are you're ahead.

[ QUOTE ]
Second hand: Moved to a different table and am at $89 in chips. UTG (120 dollars) who has somewhat loose raising standards but plays tight after the flop raises to $10. I have AQo. The table has been loose preflop so I figured I would call and see a flop. People had been calling re-raises with suited connectors. Maybe I should have pushed but I had to respect UTG. Cutoff (appox. 180 dollars) calls and the button (approx 160) calls. These are the two loosest players at the table. Four to the flop.

Q 10 5 (two clubs). UTG checks. Hero bets $25. Cutoff calls. Button and the original raiser UTG fold.

Turn: K hearts, hero checks (awful check???) and villian pushes me all in for 54 more. Hero???

[/ QUOTE ]
You should have bet the pot on the flop. Might have prevented anyone from drawing. If the person still called, my guess is they paired the board, and they only pushed to make you think they have a K since you showed weekness to it. I think you have to call/push here.

[ QUOTE ]
3rd hand: This is my friends hand. He is dealt KK and is in MP. He has $240 in chips. One limper in front who has $340. His table has been much tighter than my table. He raises the standard $15 with the cowboys. Quickly folds back to the limper, who is in UTG+1. He calls the $13 more.

Flop: Q 5 3 (two clubs).

Villain checks. Hero bets $20. Villain minraises to $40. Hero calls the $20 and raises $80 more. Villian contemplates and makes the call.

Turn: 8 spades. Villain pushes Hero in for $120 more. What does hero do?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think I would fold here...villian might just have top pair, but could very well have picked up 2 pair or even have a set.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:16 PM

Hand 1. PF is fine. All in on the flop. Effective stacks are too short copmpared to the pot to do anything else.

Hand 2. I don't see any way you can fold here. But if you had re-raised PF, you probably wouldn't be in this predicament. By your own logic, PF is raise-or-fold. The worst possible scenario is what actually happened - the two playerws with position on you came along.

Hand 3. Call and lose to a set/2-pair or beat AK. Next time just call the minraise.

Note how in two of these cases you were priced in to a losing call on the end becasue of errors made on earlier streets.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:20 PM

Villain in hand two acted quickly and slammed his chips in the middle as soon as I checked. This can be considered a strong means weak play, right? What range of hands do you put villain on on hand 2? Q10? AJ? KQ? clubs?

On hand 1 how many people push to the minraise?
Old 12-11-2005, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Note how in two of these cases you were priced in to a losing call on the end becasue of errors made on earlier streets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Such a important point. Personally one of my biggest leaks.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:53 AM

Which 2 hands were there errors made?

Hand 1: I pushed, Villain showed Pocket aces, two 3s come on the turn and river to give Villain the nice sized pot.

Hand 2: Not sure what villain has. Probably had me beat.

Hand 3: Villain shows 55 to set over my friends cowboys.