Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2005, 01:17 PM

Default JJ - think i\'m a tight passive!!!! GASP!

trying to work off my raked hands for free chips. I'm playing at Absolute poker for 300 hands (or 2,000, if I want the full bonus [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) I raised preflop, standard, with JJ. Is this a good definition of selective passivity? Was this passive play?

Absolute Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (21 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, Button calls, SB calls.
<font color="blue">I called on the flop to raise on the turn (protect my hand on 4th street). Thoughts? </font>

Turn: (15.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls.

<font color="blue">4th street is where things went south! I could have bet on the turn, or after checking and seeing the button bet, i could ch-raised. Thoughts..?</font>

River: (20.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls, Button folds.

<font color="blue"> Straight on board (fear - the mind killer!)</font>

Final Pot: 24.50 BB
Old 05-22-2005, 01:35 PM

Default Re: JJ - think i\'m a tight passive!!!! GASP!

I'm either raising this flop to try to slow down the action or just dumping it now. I wouldn't mind showing this down if I could do so for cheap but given how much betting there is so far I'm doubtful.

I wouldn't check-raise the turn here, since you're not facing anybody with 2 cold and I'd just like this hand to be over already.

There's no new straight on the board come the river, but at this point it looks to me like SB might be stacked-- again I'm just calling.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:44 PM

Ugh.
Reads on BB would help.

Flop: What exactly are you planning on protecting this hand from on the turn? All you did was give ppl behind you better odds on their draws. BB is representing a better hand than you, so I think your only options are 3-bet or fold. With no reads, I'd probably lean more towards folding in theory, but would probably end up 3-betting and re-evaluating the Turn.

Turn: A check-raise accomplishes nothing here.

River: If you were fearing straights you should have folded the flop.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:08 PM

Anybody just fold preflop after it's capped? Unless of course the two player are known to be super aggressive...
Old 05-22-2005, 02:10 PM

we've got a pot-oddsish call to the set on that cap, so i don't think we can fold. but it does suck that what would normally be an ideal flop is scary.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:21 AM

I've got a bad feeling about this preflop. I think I like to fold here and fight another day.

Hero has an overpair to the flop but it looks like someone else might also and it seems likely to be a bigger pair.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've got a bad feeling about this preflop. I think I like to fold here and fight another day.

Hero has an overpair to the flop but it looks like someone else might also and it seems likely to be a bigger pair.

[/ QUOTE ]
Folding this preflop is a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuge mistake.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:57 AM

Default Gotta STOP the bleeding!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

After UTG caps, there are 13 small bets in the pot. There's likely to be 20 in the pot by the time preflop action is over (including when you call the cap). You're not really going to give up on 18:2 = 9:1 with a pocket pair, are you?

In general, once you enter a pot with a pocket pair, you're going to be seeing a flop.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What? No way.

[ QUOTE ]
but it does suck that what would normally be an ideal flop is scary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgive the political incorrectness here, but if these retards 3 bet and capped with 3's, 4's, 5's, A2, 2-6, 6-7 or worse, 3 bet this flop.

If you are beaten, don't even get up from this table to go to the bathroom as long as they are spewing chips. Rest assured the day of the dog is coming.

I don't think a checkraise is going to cause anyone to fold on the turn. Although, apparently the button thinks he can steal this pot. Perceptive player.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
trying to work off my raked hands for free chips. I'm playing at Absolute poker for 300 hands (or 2,000, if I want the full bonus [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) I raised preflop, standard, with JJ. Is this a good definition of selective passivity? Was this passive play?

Absolute Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (21 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, Button calls, SB calls.
<font color="blue">I called on the flop to raise on the turn (protect my hand on 4th street). Thoughts? </font>

Turn: (15.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls.

<font color="blue">4th street is where things went south! I could have bet on the turn, or after checking and seeing the button bet, i could ch-raised. Thoughts..?</font>

River: (20.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls, Button folds.

<font color="blue"> Straight on board (fear - the mind killer!)</font>

Final Pot: 24.50 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got to fire on that turn. A free card is a terrible thing to offer, you got the type of card you wanted, and the checks probably indicate things like AK/AQ more often than AA-QQ.

SB doesn't have the straight unless he's superdonk. More importantly, anyone who made a straight already had the straight (you donk!). With so many callers in between the two of you, a raise isn't a bad idea (mistakes are mitigated by the players trapped between).