Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2004, 09:20 AM

Default Should everybody hate me for this?

I'll stick my thoughts in italics throughout:

Ultimate Bet 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $0.25.
Hero calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 raises, MP2 folds, MP3 (poster) folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls, Hero calls.

A little loose pre-flop, K9s is just below Lee Jones' recommended starting hands for early position, but the table is very loose (55-60% typically see the flop) so I decide to risk it. Calling the raise is an easy choice, I'm getting 10:1 on putting this last bet in. I'm not too concerned about MP1's raise as he is extremely LAG, often raises pre-flop then calls down to the river with utter junk. Anyway, I'm probably a little loose here, but I am in the pot so lets see how the rest of it pans out...

Flop: (11.40 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero bets, MP1 folds, CO raises, Button calls, BB calls, Hero calls.

Top pair, with a semi-decent kicker, I decide to bet out here as the board is rags so I think I have a decent shot. The reraise is a bit worrying, at this point I think MP1 probably has two pair, but decide to stay in as there are two other players just cold-calling bets and depending on the turn I could have a hand with lots of potential (I'd like to see a 10 or jack for a straight draw on the river or a spade for a flush draw). I also still have top pair so could already hold the best hand. If I don't improve on the turn I plan to fold.

Turn: (9.70 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero bets, CO raises, Button folds, BB folds, Hero calls.

Got a flush draw, so I bet out, everybody except for the CO folds so I don't have the odds to reraise but will call and see the river...

River: (13.70 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets, CO raises, Hero 3-bets, CO calls.
Bingo! I have been burnt before by trying to checkraise when I hit a flush and just getting it checked around so decide to bet here. I'm not sure why he reraised this, it is blindingly obvious that I have the flush, still I'm glad that he did.
Final Pot: 19.70 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows 9s Ks (flush, king high).
CO shows Kh Qh (two pair, kings and queens).
Outcome: Hero wins 19.70 BB. </font>

So exactly how badly did I play this? And how angry with me did he have a right to be? Any (constructive!) comments appreciated

I got an called all sorts of names after this hand, and am now on his buddy list so that he can follow me around from table to table (oh so very indimidating [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]). My only reply to him in the chat:

Zeiros: I like you, Powerman [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-12-2004, 10:11 AM

Default Re: Should everybody hate me for this?

PF: well you said it yourself that it was a little loose
Flop: good
Turn: I would check/call, that raise knocked out the other guys
River: Well played

I don't think he can really say you misplayed this. Let him hate.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:15 AM

You're quite right about the Turn.

I'm very glad to have heard from somebody else that I wasn't playing like a complete idiot at least [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
PF: well you said it yourself that it was a little loose
Flop: good
Turn: I would check/call, that raise knocked out the other guys
River: Well played

I don't think he can really say you misplayed this. Let him hate.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-12-2004, 10:53 AM

This is totally fine. You had outs the whole way. If he's upset about your play, he should be on YOUR buddy list.
Old 06-12-2004, 11:08 AM

You should have told him he should have 3 bet pre-flop instead of cold calling and maybe you would have folded.

You can't ever fold here. I would be pissed off that you caught me too but of course I'd realize you had top pair that turned into a flush draw. Were you supposed to fold to his mighty .50 flop raise! He could just as easily had bottom pair.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should have told him he should have 3 bet pre-flop instead of cold calling and maybe you would have folded.

You can't ever fold here. I would be pissed off that you caught me too but of course I'd realize you had top pair that turned into a flush draw. Were you supposed to fold to his mighty .50 flop raise! He could just as easily had bottom pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to have a quick enough mind to think of witty/interesting retorts to people's little digs like that. Ah well...

You mention that I should never have folded this hand. How about if I had not improved or picked up any draws on the turn? I was pretty sure that the other guy also held a king, and from the reraise probably a better king.

I would have probably folded the turn if I hadn't picked up a draw. I didn't have much of a read on the guy, had never seen him before, but he seemed very tight preflop, and I was pretty convinced that I was beaten at that point. What do you think?

One of his other comments was that 'You would never try this at 2/4' which, although I did not respond to, annoyed me greatly because I try to play every hand as a battle over who gets these little chips/pixels and not to pay heed to the actual monetary value of objects that I'm pushing around.
Old 06-12-2004, 11:30 PM

pre-flop was a tad loose but since you though it was a loose table, then taht made it easer to call. I would have played exactly like you post flop. nice job!
Old 06-13-2004, 09:12 AM

I love when players think that I am loose. They always play bad poker then and go to far with there hands...

Nice played. But you did probably lose some players and bets at the turn. Maybe beter to check/call or check/raise there. But if you would have done that then you probably would not have got the posibility to 3-bet him at the river so you did not miss so much there...
Old 06-13-2004, 09:38 AM

Please explain why you bet the turn. You will find it very hard, because there is no logical reason to do so. the turn gives you a good draw, but against four opponents you cannot bet it for value, and you think you are behind. And they wont fold. Why bet and risk being raised when you are not betting for value? check call and look at the river. If you dont make your flush you should prolly call a bet there anyway because of the pot size.

Many other responders seem to like the turn bet. (or at least not actively disliking it) and it surprises me. It would be interesting if you guys can give a more detailed explenation to why you think the turn should be bet.

best regards
flexus
Old 06-13-2004, 10:18 AM

If you had read my second post in this thread you would know that have already been made aware that betting the turn for value was the wrong thing to do.

That said, if I don't improve on the river I would much rather be playing top pair, medium kicker against one opponent than three. Either of the players in the middle could have been holding top pair better kicker**. An early bet, which is likely to be raised, is a lot more likely to knock them out of the hand than a single late position bet.

**One of the two players in particular is very, very weak and I have pushed him out of a number of pots before by betting at him. Thank you Poker Tracker [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I had to pick and choose exactly what information to put in my first post, else it would turn into more of a novel than a hand history!