Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2005, 08:02 PM

Default 88 hand against preflop capper

First orbit at this table, and villain is just posting a blind in the cutoff so it is his first hand as well. I'm putting a little into the thought that perhaps he's raising light after posting (although I probably shouldn't be doing this at all), hence my 3-bet preflop.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.75.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO (poster) raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls, MP2 calls.

<font color="blue">So everyone and their mother calls my 3-bet, and CO caps - meh. Nice table, I suppose.</font>

Flop: (20.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB folds, MP2 calls, CO calls.

<font color="blue">Nice flop, so I bet. I put CO on AK or AQ, or maybe a scared 99 or TT, but I have no idea how he plays, so he really could have anything. I didn't think of checking this flop through, whatsoever. BB may have folded incorrectly - my bet offered everyone over 20:1.</font>

Turn: (12.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, MP2 calls, CO calls.

<font color="blue">Very nice turn, so I bet again and still get two calls.</font>

River: (15.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP2 checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

<font color="blue">Very nice river, should I value bet? I didn't see CO calling, and I thought MP2 may have been check calling down a weak J.</font>

Final Pot: 15.25 BB
Old 04-15-2005, 08:07 PM

Default Re: 88 hand against preflop capper

I like every street, wish i had the balls to 3bet this pf. NH
Old 04-15-2005, 08:09 PM

well if the villains have some sort of pair and they called that turn they are certainly calling your river bet. if they missed it is possible you may get a loosey call from a hand like AK or even AQ. but with two villains it is hard to believe that you can get away with a river bet for value.

i give up and check behind as well.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:26 PM

Given your pf action, there's not much else you can do post-flop.

For some reason, I tend to give a poster's raise a bit more respect. Don't know why, could be wrong. I could probably find a fold pf. I'd have to think about it. I don't know about pf.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:37 PM

Yeah I think preflop may be the most interesting of all streets, as like you said, postflop pretty much played itself. TT would be a super easy 3-bet here, imo.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:40 PM

I don't see how you can do it differently postflop. I would think about checking behind on the flop with aces* (but not in this case) but certainly not eights. So this is my line with any pocket pair that I choose to 3-bet preflop. Nice hand.

Brad

*Anyone who raises/caps and then checks the flop can't be trusted to bet the turn for me. With aces, I sometimes might try to give the 1st coldcaller 5:1 on the turn instead of giving the 1st flop caller 20:1. It is just a technique used to maximize the chance of winning the pot.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:12 PM

Yeah I was really surprised that CO capped preflop and checked the flop. This hand would be way different had he bet into me. If bet into, I would raise and call a 3-bet, folding the turn without spiking an 8. If not 3-bet I would bet the turn and fold to a check raise.