Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 12:35 PM

Default Turn continuation bets

I have a hard time figuring out when to make a continuation bet on the turn OOP (also with position, but less), and it may be one of my leaks. Does any of u have a plan for those situations?
Villain is unknown
Party Poker 5.00/10.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(5 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, BB folds.

Turn: (4.20 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (6.20 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 7.20 BB.

So how would u play turn AND river if villain is a:
a) passive (peels alot, sees many showdowns)
b) aggro (raises many pairs on turn and is capable of folding)
c) maniac
Old 11-19-2005, 01:46 PM

Default Re: Turn continuation bets

These situations are rarely comfortable of feel right. But this one is particularly interesting because you could have the best hand, given that a decent number of players at 5/10 will peel almost any flop and that if you are behind, you could have up to 10 outs.

We do know a little bit about the CO, he cold-called preflop with no other people in the pot but the raiser. Barring all other imformation (and the average 5/10 player being too loose and too passive), that leads me to put him towards the loose passive side.

That being said, I still like a bet on the turn because:

1.) It is possible that he'll call with a worse hand like a gutshot or worse king high or maybe he picked up his backdoor flush draw. There are also now possible openenders. And maybe just any 2 trying to catch a pair.

2.) If he raises you then all of your outs are probably not good and you most likely now do not have the best hand.

3.) When you check the river when you miss, he's more likely to give you a free showdown when you have the best hand.

4.) He's more likely to pay you off when you hit with poor hands like A high and small pairs.

This is what I would do against a passive player and your unknown there. If the player was extremely passive then maybe I check the turn because I know I'm seeing a free river and showdown unless he has me crushed but I think those players are relatively rare in 6max games, even at 5/10.

Against an agressive player who can fold I would probably bet simply because I think you pick that pot up more than 25% of the time. He will bluff sometimes and possibly make you fold when you have 10 outs, but I think your fold equity makes the bet worth it here. In a smaller or bigger pot I would have to re-evaluate.

Against a maniac I probably check/call the turn and then re-evaluate on the river.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Turn continuation bets

Nicely analysed. Thanks for the input.