Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2005, 05:36 PM

Default Little League Baseball

Is anyone else annoyed by the fact that espn continues to waste time airing little league games. If you're going to show youth baseball on television, at least show the best youth players in the country. The little league is the very worst youth baseball orginazation and for some reason they are the ones that espn decides to air. Why don't they show something like the CABA world series. They actually play real baseball in that league and you will get to see some very good youth baseball players. This is just one example, anything is going to be better than little league.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Little League Baseball

I'm annoyed with ESPN in general...most of the time.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:49 PM

The thing that annoys me is that durring the games, they are always talking about how bad youth sports are for the kids (they are too competitive etc.).

What's wrong with little league? What's better about the other leagues that I have never heard of?
Old 08-20-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's wrong with little league? What's better about the other leagues that I have never heard of?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's nothing wrong with it in regards to just a league for kids to have fun. The problem I have is that of all leagues to show espn picked little league.

They don't even play real baseball. They can't steal, can't run on dropped strike threes, etc. This is the only youth baseball league that I know of that has these modified rules.

The other problem I have is that espn makes these kids out to be baseball gods who are going to be the future of professional baseball. This just isn't true, a large number of these kids will struggle to succeed in high school ball because they will be completely under developed by the time they reach high school.

I don't like the fact that they air youth baseball at all, but if you're going to air it, at least show the best youth players playing by actual baseball rules.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:32 PM

The only thing I have a problem with is the helmets they wear. Facemasks? Chinstraps? GTFO.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:49 PM

you are right that little league has the worst competition but you are wrong, every other league, tournament,etc has the same modified rules for kids 12 or under- no stealing, no advancing on dropped 3rd strikes etc
Old 08-20-2005, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but you are wrong, every other league, tournament,etc has the same modified rules for kids 12 or under- no stealing, no advancing on dropped 3rd strikes etc

Post Extras

[/ QUOTE ]

this is not true, I played when I was under twelve my brother played when he was under 12 and everyone I played in high school with also played with no modified rules.

edit: as a sidenote, i've watched my brother play and there is no reason to have modified rules. The kids are plenty good enough to play be the normal rules. Catchers can actually throw guys out, guy make clean pick ups regularly. I would much rather watch him play because it is more exciting playing by the real rules, and the players are better. They don't need special rules to make sure guys aren't stealing every base.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but you are wrong, every other league, tournament,etc has the same modified rules for kids 12 or under- no stealing, no advancing on dropped 3rd strikes etc

[/ QUOTE ]
this is not true, I played when I was under twelve my brother played when he was under 12 and everyone I played in high school with also played with no modified rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I played Little League, you could steal and advanced on dropped thrid strikes. Rules change.

Little League is shown because they are the brand name. They're what people want to watch. The Little League World Series is a great tournament.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:38 AM

Watching Canada Mexico and they said in an earlier US game a pitcher went 6 innings with 18 strikeouts.

I havent seen him, but i'm saying he's 14.

rJ