Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Pushing too many marginal edges.

This is me playing like an ass, because I've seen too many players showdown with crap. This is me reacting in the wrong direction as my downswing begins its 3rd month.

UTG is 81/1.75/.3 over 80 hands or so.
Button is 57/9/.74 over the same amount.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP calls, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, MP folds, Button calls.

I 3-bet? wtf.

Turn: (7.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, Button calls.

Oh look, everyones passive now, they think I've got an 8.
River: (10.75 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, Button calls.

Regardless, no one will fold. ever.

Final Pot: 13.75 BB

Villain is same as UTG above.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (2.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (2.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (4.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero ??

Fold, right?

Final Pot: 6.25 BB

Villain is Button from previous hand.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, SB folds.

I know... fold preflop.

Flop: (7 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, BB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, CO folds.
PF raiser donkbets the turn. Duh, he's got a good ace, I should fold.

River: (7 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero ??
River didn't help. But is this a "pot is too large to fold" situation or not?

Final Pot: 9 BB
Old 09-29-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Pushing too many marginal edges.

[ QUOTE ]
UTG is 81/1.75/.3 over 80 hands or so.
Button is 57/9/.74 over the same amount.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are your numbers during this downswing?

Hand 1. meh, I might not 3 bet the flop, then I check call turn and check call river, unless someone gets crazy.

Hand 2. bet the river and call his raise.

Hand 3. I don't like the turn donk bet. I might drop it there thinking he's slowplaying a 7.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:48 PM

Hand 1 - Check/fold the flop. If you are ahead, your reverse implied odds are huge.

Hand 2 - Looks ok. Fold on the river is probably ok but I might call

Hand 3 - Fold turn, villians is passive right (can't really tell)?
Old 09-29-2005, 03:52 PM

hand #1: i'll c/r a LP bet, probably fold anything else. i hate that T thought [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

hand #2: bet the river and fold a raise. this pot is small enough on the river, as played: calling or folding could be right and not a major leak.

hand #3: i fold the turn. really, by calling that turn donk, i think we've committed ourselves to a showdown at this point (which is 1 street too far.)
Old 09-29-2005, 04:00 PM

Grunch:

Hand 1: I check the flop, hoping to check raise a late position bet.

Hand 2: check/call the river.

Hand 3: I probably just fold the turn.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:39 PM

Hand 1: Your play is not representing the 8. 3-betting the flop may be ok to prevent draws from getting to the turn cheaply and possibly thinning the field. The T is very scary on the turn, if you put in a bet there and it gets called, you should check the river and consider folding.

Hand 2: Close I think. Many players will bet a busted flush draw here when you show weakness.

Hand 3: When the preflop raiser (who raised from the BB knowing full well it would not knock anyone out) bets the ace on the turn, you are in big trouble. Either you were behind on the flop to QQ/KK/AA/AJ or you're behind now to AK/AQ. Your only hope is that he's semi-bluffing with KQs and that's pretty wishful thinking in my opinion.

The key to get better in these spots is to learn that it's ok to lay down the winning hand sometimes. Obviously you should minimize it as much as possible, but if it looks like there's a 10% chance you have the winning hand when the pot is 5BB and it's going to cost you 2BB to find out - it just isn't worth it. Sometimes you'll get bluffed out, but very often you'll find you were way behind.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What are your numbers during this downswing?

Hand 1. meh, I might not 3 bet the flop, then I check call turn and check call river, unless someone gets crazy.

Hand 2. bet the river and call his raise.

Hand 3. I don't like the turn donk bet. I might drop it there thinking he's slowplaying a 7.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this analysis.

Check/folding the flop in Hand 1 is extremely weak tight. You've got top pair on a paired flop. That's not a marginal hand, it's a good one. That said, i don't mind calling a raise.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think we've committed ourselves to a showdown at this point (which is 1 street too far.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll skip the hand analysis since the responses OP got are pretty much correct. Have said that I think the above quote is your key takeaway right there - mostly your hands started out as small pots and you had a marginal hand that is not worth the fight (i.e. let it go). Pushing your hands too far will commit you to the pot with an underdog

In the micros, the goal is to value bet your opponents to death when you have good/significant edge.

Just be patient the premium hands will come [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check/folding the flop in Hand 1 is extremely weak tight. You've got top pair on a paired flop. That's not a marginal hand, it's a good one. That said, i don't mind calling a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think extremely weak tight is overstating it a little bit.

That being said, IMO if we are playing this hand that betting into a field of loose players is not the way to go. Button seems kind of aggressive by his PT numbers at least, hopefully it gets checked to him and we can take a crack at getting this heads up.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:05 PM

I bet/fold the flop in hand 1. Button seems passive so an LP bet from him could mean he has us beat so a CR doesn't seem good, although he's not that passive since he has a high VP$IP. I guess you could check to see where you're at if you think you're getting 3 or 4 callers if you just bet out.

Hand 2 I bet/fold the river. Against a guy this passive I think you've got to fold if you're checking, but I prefer betting since it's not impossible he'd rep teh ace with nada.

Hand 3 fold the turn.