Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 09:29 AM

Default Playing better 10 handed than 6 handed?

Just wanted some opinions on why this is happening. I have always played .50/1.00 limit 6 handed. I recently took a few weeks off, have been reading posts on this site, and re-reading some books at home. When I finally started playing again, I was getting torn up on the .50/1.00, 6 handed, so I dropped to .05/.10 ten handed, and ran over these players. After I felt comfortable with some new concepts I was applying, mainly trying to be a little more aggressive with my bigger hands, I moved back to 6 handed .50/1.00, and got torn up again. So I decided to go ten handed .50/1.00, and I ran over the table. Any thoughts? I used to avoid ten handed tables like the plague, now I think there is more money there to be made.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:55 AM

Default Re: Playing better 10 handed than 6 handed?

I think many would disagree with you and claim there is more money to be made playing short handed. However, it depends on the quality of the players in the game and the game texture.

Most players avoid shorthanded games because they don't know how to adjust to them. When you sit at a 6-max table, you're sitting with players who want to be there and, presumably, have some notion of how to adjust for short play. I think it's more common to find poor players at a 10-handed table than a 6-handed table. Not always, for sure, and when you find a bad player or players 6-handed, they're a gold mine.

So, I guess my point is that 10-handed tables are usually softer than a 6-handed table. However, you have more opportunities to make money at a 6-handed table.

Perhaps your style of play is more suited to 10-handed. The best way to know would be to post some typical short-handed hands in the Heads-up/Short-handed forum.

Regards,

T
Old 05-05-2005, 11:26 AM

That makes sense, I have played 6 handed for 2 years now, have done well, but lately have been suffering a bit. So moving to the ten handed, I'm finding softer players, and I'm used to the players at 6 handed, so therefore I'm running over top of these softer players. Yea, makes sense.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:06 AM

The potential to make more money at 6-max is a direct extension of the fundamental theory of poker. Assuming all your decisions are +EV, you'll be making more of these decisions in an hour than you will at 10-handed.

You also have the potential of making more -EV plays per hour.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:57 PM

Action junkies like 6 max for obvious reasons. Some players at these games are just down right horrible and try to bluff all the time. You have to play more marignal hands for smaller pots but if you are making +ev decisions you will make more than 10 handed.