Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2005, 01:35 PM

Default Help reading hand

I know I played this had poorly. This is mostly do to my confusion over what UTG+1 has. Can any one give me some pointers as to what his actions may mean. This was his third hand at to table so no reads.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks,

Great flop for me. My big concern is the flush draw. I am not going to chase it out and the pre-flop raiser acts next so I decide to build a pot with a check raise and hope that if a spade comes the board pairs.

Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, CO folds, BB folds,

Not quite what I expected but it will do. At this point I put UTG+1 on AK or JJ-99. I figure he may will come along for one but will likely fold for two so I decide to wait until forth for my check raise to keep him in and get an extra big bet out of MP2

Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>,

That was not what I expected at all. What would you put UTG+1 on at this point? At any rate I think I am ahead at this point so I continue as planned.

MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Great I made my boat. Now for the check raise...

Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks.

Oops!

River: (8.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Have to bet here.

<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>,

So now UTG+1 has raised pre-flop, check raised the flop, checked the turn, and raised my river bet. What do you make of this.

MP2 calls, Hero calls.

As bad as my check raise scheme turned out this call was by far my worst move as I am only behind QQ, 88, and 66 but I was so confused by what UTG+1 had I just called.

Final Pot: 14.25 BB

Like I said I know my play wasn't anything to be proud of but I am interested to hear what people think UTG+1 has after the flop and on the river and why they put him on that hand.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Help reading hand

I think a bet-bet-bet line is in order here. UTG has Q8 I bet. It's hard to tell though since you never raised.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:50 PM

UTG+1 raised PF.

I'd put him on AQ or even KK.

I'd 3 bet the river just because I can.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG+1 raised PF.

I'd put him on AQ or even KK.

I'd 3 bet the river just because I can.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the PF part (and the river but that goes without saying) but don't you think TPTK or an over pair would bet the turn?

This is the problem that I had during the hand and hand I put him on didn't seem likely on at least one street.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:01 PM

I'd put him on QQ before I put him on Q8. Not many people that will raise Q8 from EP.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:09 PM

I 3-bet the river. I'd put UTG+1 on an overpair or AQ/KQ, not QQ. Looks like the 8 scared him on the turn.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:10 PM

He could be thinking that someone is in the pot with an 8 since it's middle pair here. If he's got AQ there's only 2 other Q's left so there's a reasonable chance someone is in there with A8 or some such.

QQ is possible but it's not something I would fear often at all.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:11 PM

Without having read the other replies, here is what I do:

Going for the check-raise on the flop was good go ahead and do that. You should have 3 bet it when it came back around to you.

Once you get to the turn bet it out. You've got a strong hand, build the pot. I am not a fan of fancy play at this point. Just push and jam that pot.

As far as the river, you may be seeing monsters for the quads, the only real hand that I can think would beat me here is the QQ from UTG+1, but he could also have AQ the way he played. I believe that I'd push this one. Rarely does set/set or Quads/Set happen.

The main point is once you have a huge hand in a rather small group of players don't get fancy with your play, just bet and look for callers. If somebody else wants to raise after your bet on the turn or river then Yahoooooooooooo!
Old 01-31-2005, 02:28 PM

I also thought AQ or KQ. My other thought was that he was one of those dumb fish that tries to check-raise twice and stupidly thought that MP2 would bet the turn again, but I play at nano-limits. What did he have?
Old 01-31-2005, 02:43 PM

Default Results

UTG+1 turned over JJ and MP2 had Q4s