Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 11:06 AM

Default Re: Is Nothing Possible?

I am certainly not a philosopher. I didn't say it "follows" that "nothing" is possible, or that "nothing" means a God. It just seems to me that the former is, and the latter might be.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think, therefore I am.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm somewhat familiar with this quote. I don't believe Descartes was ponticating nothing, but whether we can be sure that anything really exists. Do you think this is the same thing? Maybe you're right.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:26 PM

RJT-

I can certainly see how God fills in this gap for you. However, I cannot make this leap as easily as you do.

For one thing, I also run into problems when thinking about, Where did God come from? or how He could have just eternally existed. I believe you answered this elsewhere, but I can't recall your exact reasoning.

How do we know that the existence of another dimension for example, might not just as easily solve our problem with "Nothing"?
Old 11-05-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do we know that the existence of another dimension for example, might not just as easily solve our problem with "Nothing"?

[/ QUOTE ] In fact, the solution is simpler by a large ammount.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:36 PM

Defining nothing is a infinite loop. That does not mean that "nothing" is impossible just the exapmle of "nothing" does not exist. Nothing can only be "known" momentarily. It's as if existance has a way of fighting very hard for it's continued existance. I imagine that this has been going on for quite some time.

To grasp nothingness I try to imagie myself before I was born. Of course that "nothingness" only lasts for a brief time. As it gets filed with my knowledge of history.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is poor logic. Nothing may not exist, but eternity certainly does. Humans haven't evolved enough to be able to comprehend eternity or nothing or infinity, but most likely all three of those concepts are a living reality. In fact, it seems to me that these three things are the foundation of existence (and non-existence). So if such equisitely simple yet completely mysterious concepts are a living reality then why can't God be a living reality?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice paragraph. Your first sentence is a good topic sentence for the statements to follow.

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The concept of nothing is difficult, if not impossible, for me to contemplate.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if YOU can't comtemplate something then you can draw conclusions about the concept from that?

Nobody 'understands' quatum mechanics ( thus spake Richard Feynman), but the inability for the human mind to be able get a conceptual picture of it doesn't take anything away from it's validity. Heck, Einstein, a master at visualization, struggled with it, and failed.

... am I misreading your claim?

luckyme
Old 11-05-2005, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is poor logic. Nothing may not exist, but eternity certainly does. Humans haven't evolved enough to be able to comprehend eternity or nothing or infinity, but most likely all three of those concepts are a living reality. In fact, it seems to me that these three things are the foundation of existence (and non-existence). So if such equisitely simple yet completely mysterious concepts are a living reality then why can't God be a living reality?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice paragraph. Your first sentence is a good topic sentence for the statements to follow.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was very clever! But my logic is sound. It's the same as saying that life is possible on this planet then why wouldn't life be possible on another planet similarly situated planet. The same logic applies for both arguments.

Another poster said that eternity doesn't exist because time is a dimension. Eternity means timelessness not time going on forever.
Old 11-05-2005, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another poster said that eternity doesn't exist because time is a dimension. Eternity means timelessness not time going on forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if you want to argue that timelessness can't exist because there is nothing but our universe from which to exist in then that is false too. Even within our universe eternity exists within blackholes and "outside" of our universe many phyisicists believe that there are other universes where time probably doesn't exist.
Old 11-05-2005, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think, therefore I am.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm somewhat familiar with this quote. I don't believe Descartes was ponticating nothing, but whether we can be sure that anything really exists. Do you think this is the same thing? Maybe you're right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. I am conscious. If there were nothing in the universe, how could I be conscious. I exist.