Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 09:56 AM

Default Good Check Behind?

Utg is a tricky loose/aggro sob and mp is as calling station as they come. Will call gutters, inside, bottom pair, etc. So given this knowledge is my AQ check behind and fold on the turn correct? Also, mp hasn't been bluffing at all since I've sat down.

PS: being c'r by utg was a legit concern as he's done it many times during this short session.
PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, CO calls.

Flop: (7.33 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (3.66 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero folds, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 4.66 BB
Old 09-20-2005, 10:00 AM

Default Re: Good Check Behind?

I think I need to start posting more difficult hands. This one seems somewhat standard but I'd like opinions anyway.

gotta get ur feet wet somewhere
Old 09-20-2005, 10:12 AM

I prefer betting the flop here. Our folding equity isn't too bad, and even if they don't fold, we can still check behind on the turn.

We can also easily fold to any aggression. I think betting is rather standard here with position.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I prefer betting the flop here. Our folding equity isn't too bad, and even if they don't fold, we can still check behind on the turn.

We can also easily fold to any aggression. I think betting
is rather standard here with position.

[/ QUOTE ]

even tho utg is a habitual c'r and mp will call with any pair, any straight draw, any flush draw, ace high, and probably king high with an ok kicker. I luv beting these boards and getting the turn free card but I decided to let it go because of that nutso utg.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:19 AM

Why are we giving a free card to someone who makes really bad calls? Why aren't we allowing him to play like a retard and make mistakes?
Old 09-20-2005, 10:20 AM

Default Arts Right...

ArturiusX is right on this one. I think a bet compulsory. You could very well still be ahead in this hand and you have position, so you can outplay them after the flop as well.

Even though you didn't improve on the flop, they MIGHT not of improved either. Yet they could of gotten a piece of it. Maybe like a flush draw with one or two clubs or a straight draw. Giving a free card in this position when you have fold equity as Art said would just be a blunder for you.

And if the UTG is C/R habitually then 3bet him. I would start to take those lightly. If he is a tricky thinking player he could think that you have two high cards (which you do) and are betting on air. Betting him back and tell him you won't be bossed around. And as for the calling station... Well he is gonna call with anything. If he is calling with a inside straight draw, so be it. If thats the case you got the best hand. If he has bottom pair, well he has you beat but you have 6 outs to improve.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:24 AM

We can also easily fold to any aggression.

I don't really think so, most draws will checkraise this flop and there are tons of draws here. Sometimes I think you need to commit yourself to showdown in situations like this if it gets HU, providing that the turn isn't the J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or some other terrible card, in which case you can fold.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We can also easily fold to any aggression.

I don't really think so, most draws will checkraise this flop and there are tons of draws here. Sometimes I think you need to commit yourself to showdown in situations like this if it gets HU, providing that the turn isn't the J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or some other terrible card, in which case you can fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's an ass like that, yeah sure showdown it up. But against most opponents I don't like getting to involved.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:37 AM

Checking behind is fine here. W/the flop containing 2 cards in the playable zone and both a strait and flush draw, I think your folding equity is minimal. Given the fact that UTG is a habitual checkraiser and will checkraise any draw/pair checking behind is probably best. There are many cards that can help your hand on the turn and seeing that turn card should be important to you.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:42 AM

3-handed this seems like an easy bet.