Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2005, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Deep Stacks: Got CR\'d w Btm Set

First off, I don't play the 1000 tables.

I would reraise the flop. This seems like the obvious play to me, so I'd like to hear why others didn't really consider this. As someone said, half the deck sucks on the turn. Get your money in their when you have the best of it and you know where you stand. I'd guess two pair for the BB, but some sort of draw is not out of the question (OESD+flush draw - i.e. 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]). If he has a higher set I'd expect him to come back over the top, maybe consider laying down your hand in that situation? Either way, I'd be raising. You have position and probably the best hand on a draw heavy board.

Counter-arguments appreciated,
JKratzer
Old 03-30-2005, 05:29 PM

Half a pot bet would work nicely here.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Half a pot bet would work nicely here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. You still don't know where you stand but after villian either folds, calls, or raises, I think you will have more to work with. I hope I'm not being too weak-tight when I say that you should lay down to a second checkraise by villian. If he calls you can most likely put him on T9 or a higher set. Both of these will most likely make a small blocking bet on river or check to you where you can take a free showdown. If he shows a lot of aggression on the river, I think you can again fold, unless it's the case 4. Even if you fill up, I don't think you can call a big river bet because I highly doubt he would be check-calling the turn with a made draw then betting big when the board pairs on the river.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:21 PM

To all the people who suggest betting the turn, what do you do when you bet 2/3 pot or whatever and he checkraises to say 1200. I suppose since he is 20/5 you lay down cause this is a pretty nitty image, but if he is a loose gambler, you still can't feel too great sticking your neck out...eitherway, I just feel like it's an awful bet to make because you hate to get raised...am I just being a pussy? If he has a draw, it could have just gotten there, but you want to be able to fill up on the river, if he has two pair he is drawing to 4 outs, so why bet?
Old 03-30-2005, 06:25 PM

Why I wouldn't raise:

I would think most people would know to fold when they hit an OESFD on the flop in an unraised pot, they checkraise a bettor and he comes back over the top, what hands do you put him on, a set. Most people will know they are behind a set and lay down this super draw (you don't want them to lay down if they do have an OESFD). People especially with 20/5 will lay down, loose gamblers maybe not. The most likely holding, top 2 will definitely lay down, so what does raising accomplish? It will only be called 99 or TT...
Old 03-30-2005, 06:34 PM

if he checkraises the turn again I would fold. I don't think it's a really tough fold on a board like that.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:41 PM

Alright Ari, you asked for it.

I don't play much NL anymore, let's hope I haven't lost it. I'm playing in the hell that is 10-20 6 max right now [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img].

The scariest of all scare cards just hit the ever bloody turn and your opponent checks. You really think he wants to checkraise a draw OOP? Not this guy, he's got a made hand. Why would he shut out players with a checkraise out of position with a big c/r? Dunno, but Im putting him on made hand until proven otherwise and am going to use my position to control this pot. I dont like a pot bet, I dont like a 2/3 pot bet.

Half a pot gives him 3:1 on his call. If he has a set and thinks he now needs to fill on the river because FSU just hit that draw, he may consider dropping, a half pot bet also looks like a bet that is BEGGING to be called, therefore making it look more like his draw got there.

I think he'll freeze up if he has 2 pair or a set and will not block bet the river, and if this cat checkraises you there? Easy dump.

Now a 2/3 pot bet or so I don't know if it pot commits you too far. A pot sized bet surely might. I would use my position here to control this pot size and if he calls and checks the river take the freebie on the SD.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:45 PM

I bet 3/4 to the full pot here. Hero has position, a strong hand, a great board to bluff with, and a very deep stack. I want my opponent to think that I am willing to stack off on this one. His flop check raise out of position makes me think he caught a piece of the flop but doesn't want to see a scary turn card. If he sticks another big check raise on me I fold.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:58 PM

reraising the flop here is like 3 betting KK against a decent player. he folds everything you beat, and raises everything you lose to.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:02 PM

I would bet 500 at him on the turn and fold to a raise. I definitely wouldn't want to see a 4th diamond and find out he's playing A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10x too aggressively or some other befuddling played hand that happens to have a diamond in it. Plus if he's as tight as you say he is, he might fold 99 or 1010 here.