Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 10:45 AM

Default Re: Do I need to pay this off??

I'm pretty sure I call that. I can't give great reasons but it has something to do with a river board pairing card being a good bluff card, most people waking up on the turn with a better hand, busted flush/straight draws being out there.

I think you are easily good 1-8 here.

Krishan
Old 12-31-2005, 01:24 PM

I am really surprised that so many people are advocating a fold here. I would definately call. Villain's stats have him relatively aggressive, and there is no good reason for him to check top pair on the flop, so we can pretty much discount the seven. A x giving him two pair is possible, but again I think he may have bet the flop here. A badly played flopped flush looks the most likely hand that beats you. But I still think the times when he tries to represent the scare card you are pretty certain that he hasn't got give you easily enough to call.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:29 PM

That's right. So just check it down. The board sucks. A better hand than yours will raise, a worse hand will fold to the bet. If he raises you are probably going to call and be out 2 bets. I know the CW on 2+2 is always to bet, bet, bet, but here you're just giving it away.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:32 PM

There's a flush draw, straight draw, straight flush draw, and trips or boat on the board and you think a river check is terrible?
Old 12-31-2005, 01:36 PM

Actually you couldn't pick a better flop to auto bet given the board and opponents. Why on earth are you giving a free card to 3 other players with a board like that? Do you want someone to hit their outs? You need information and you need to narrow the field. One sb does that for you.

I haven't been on 2+2 in a while and I'm actually taken aback at the responses.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And you didn't bet out on the flop because? You needed to narrow the field and gain info on the flop. Bet it.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your advice is, having raised, to auto-bet every single flop regardless of the cards? If not, can you give me an example of a flop that's worse for continuation betting?

Checking this flop is a smart use of position.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry but I really think checking this flop is a major mistake. Shows weakness, allows the others to catch up, just not a good play.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah. I had to go back and look at this to try to figure out what you guys are talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, being impossible would have been the simplest argument against check/calling. I was confused.

/mc
Old 12-31-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually you couldn't pick a better flop to auto bet given the board and opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you give us an example of a flop where you would check behind, or sometimes check behind?

/mc
Old 12-31-2005, 02:38 PM

I'd be inclined to fold and would definitely do so if you have more than 200 hands on this guy with those stats.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually you couldn't pick a better flop to auto bet given the board and opponents. Why on earth are you giving a free card to 3 other players with a board like that? Do you want someone to hit their outs? You need information and you need to narrow the field. One sb does that for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have enough info already. You need to improve to win. If you bet, chances are you'll get raised and have to fold. Might as well save your sb.

Another poster mentioned that he couldn't see the river raiser having a 7 there very often. I disagree. He could have had a 7 and was either looking to CR the flop or peel due to all the draws and re-evaluate on the turn. On the turn, he was probably rightfully scared of the Ace and he wisely went for the cr after river trips.
Closed Thread