Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Another .5/1 LO8 question (full house 6-way, force out low draws?)

So I'm anxious to work on my O/8 game, hence posting in HJ. Anyway, my question is on the turn, but comments up to there are also welcome:

Preflop (9 handed)
Hero has A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, Hero checks, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB checks

Flop (6 players, 6.25 SB): T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 bets, Hero calls, CO folds, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls

Turn (5 players, 5.5ish BB): T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 bets, Hero ???

So here's why I'm confused:
* If I call, I'll probably get a couple of callers. So the river will be 4-way for ~10BB; if a low card falls, though, it seems like I'm almost certainly chopping the pot (why else would people call the turn bet?) However, if a high card falls, I'm scooping, so the extra bets are good.
* If I raise, I'll probably chase out everyone but MP1, who may (a) be betting A2 or something, or (b) might have a low draw without counterfeit protection (so even if a low card comes, if it pairs his hand I'll still scoop). So if a low card comes, there's still a chance that I scoop; if a high card comes then I definitely scoop but it's a smaller pot.

So which is better? Sorry if this is a very basic question, but I'm still very new to this game.

[and a thread hi-jack in the OP!]
I have AAAQ in the SB, and there are 4 limpers. Do I complete? (Yes, the Q is sooted w/ one of my Aces)
Old 12-23-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Another .5/1 LO8 question (full house 6-way, force out low draws?)

Flop:I would prefer to raise here to protect the high by keeping players from staying in & picking up straight/flush draws or making trips.The raise also gets rid of some of the weak low draws,increasing the chance of a scoop.

Turn:It's MUCH better to try for the scoop than to try to suck in extra bets.Raise for sure.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:07 PM

You need to raise every opportunity you have after the flop.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:10 PM

I agree with Benwood here all the way. Pop the flop and chase out the weak low draws if you can. Again on the turn, pump it! It's not the low you have to be concerned with here. Why give J's, Q's or K's a "free" (1 bet) chance to catch up? Then on the low side, why give them the same odds to hit. Make them pay for it always. Unless you like to give handouts at the table...

JMO - Knoll
Old 12-23-2005, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn (5 players, 5.5ish BB): T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 bets, Hero ???

[/ QUOTE ]

Gimp - It's really very close if you have very strong opponents.

What it boils down to is how your raise will affect the players who have already checked. If they would have called a single bet but will fold to a double bet, then the raise is a bad idea. But if they're going to call a double bet, or if they would have folded to the single bet anyhow, then the raise is a good idea.

You just have to judge how they'll react for yourself. I think someone with a good low draw plus a straight draw might call either a single or a double bet. Hey, after reading your last post, I think they'll all call the double bet.

There's more. Suppose one of the limpers has a pair of kings plus a low draw. Now if a king comes on the river, you're screwed. Do you want the guy with the pair of kings plus a low draw to have a cheap shot at beating you? The point is your hand is very strong, but not a cinch, and could use protection.

If these are the same opponents as in your last post, I think a raise is probably your best move here.

Buzz
Old 12-24-2005, 02:18 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

At these low limits, you may not be able to protect your hand, since a lot of players don't respect raises and will chase.

While it's possible your high hand could be beat, it's doubtful it will happen. If you can keep the action 6-way, then you're going to be only getting half the pot if the board brings a low possibility. But the other players might cap it with their lows, bringing in extra bets for you.

Like the others said, the question is whether you think they'll be willing to cap it on the turn. I would figure to get at least one caller if I raise anyway, and that caller will likely have a low draw. So if the low is going to hit on the river, I'm going to lose that half of the pot whether I'm against one opponent or six.

As such, I'd be more inclined to just smooth-call and allow others to stick around and pump up the half of the pot I expect to win (and maybe build the pot larger and then no low hits on the river)

Also, a player behind you might have hit trips or a smaller boat, and raise, allowing you to raise once it gets back to you, again, building the pot even larger.

I'm not a big fan of playing the A/A/A/Q in a full-table setting at low stakes. If you're against good opponents, you can likely get them to go away on a low flop, but if you expect a bunch of calling stations, you really need to hit a magical flop to continue with that hand.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:15 PM

Flop: With 6 players in the pot, you most likley dont have the best hand, and a raise to protect your hand is a futile attempt at these limits. Im quite happy to draw here for one bet.

Turn: Against most opponents/tables at these limits, a raise is the correct play. Unless they are a bunch of girlie men, you should raise here everytime.