Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-12-2005, 08:56 PM

Default The reason you shouldn\'t play a lousy hand because of pot odds...

How it's going folks. Just became a member today and thought I'd share a quick piece of my life with you guys. I played in a twenty man tourney the other day at my friend's older brother's house. I was probably third in chips and also the small blind. I believe the player in 4th position raised three times the blind and three others called before me. I looked down at good old seven deuce. What the hell, the pot odds are wonderful I thought. So I called. The big blind then called as well, he was the chip leader. The flop came out 7-2-J, rainbow. Checks all around to me, I bet the pot to look like I'm buying. Big blind reraises me, everyone else folds and now the action is back on me. I reraise all in with my two pair. The big blind thinks for a second and calls. I flip over seven deuce, he flips over pocket ducks. He landed a set. I was third in chips and now I'm out. Lesson here is, as ugly as a hand seven deuce was I should have mucked it immediately. But because the pot odds looked great, I went ahead and called. When I hit the seven deuce on the board I was excited. I was thinking that this is going to be a great story to all my friends. Instead I'm the butt of that story. Sometimes you just have to screw pot odds and wait out a hand. That was my donkey play of the month.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:07 PM

Default Re: The reason you shouldn\'t play a lousy hand because of pot odds...

Welcome to the forum Zain.

Personally i don't think you should have called this. It may have been different if they had limped it, but someone has raised and got two callers. When it gets to you, you have roughly 4-1 pot odds, but to make this worthwile, you need better than 4-1 odds of winning the hand. Do you think you have this against a raiser and two callers??

Also, you say it was checked round to you in the SB, how can this be?

Don't mean to be picky [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img],

Eggpie
Old 12-12-2005, 09:11 PM

Read exit's post for more evidence/info on playing trash out of the blinds.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:31 PM

Losing two pair to a set isn't a reason not to call with good implied odds. Not having good enough implied odds is. Think of it this way, if you had called with AK and lost all your chips on a AK2 board, would you still consider that a donkey move?
Old 12-12-2005, 09:32 PM

ummmmm......badbeatpostsayswhat
Old 12-13-2005, 01:01 AM

You're absolutely correct. I believe I might have checked, as well as big blind with his pocket ducks. Then one of later guys raised to which I reraised all in. I just ate dinner with one of the guys who was there and we were just deliberating about the exact thing. He said, how the heck was it checked to you when you were small blind, I said great because I just made this post on this very credible sight. Good eye eggpie. Being picky is not something one should be annoyed by, it only makes one better.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:02 AM

lol, sorry
Old 12-13-2005, 01:57 AM

You botched this preflop and played it perfectly postflop. Your thinking is all backwards here.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:20 AM

Welcome to the forum.

The pot odds don't justify the call preflop in this situation.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:10 AM

ok,your not thinking about this the rightway.
first of all you didnt have the pot odds that you needed to call pre-flop with that hand.
the reason being ,is when some one raises 3xBB and you have 3 callers,then you will need huge implied odds that you just dont have here.your looking to flop something like ,77x or 22x or at the very least 72x.
now the chances of you flopping thoes are much less than the odds on offer,and if you do hit the flop hard then,you will not get paid off as much as you need to make this a break-even or profitable call.
haing said that,you didnt nothing wrong after the flop.thats just poker,but from the point of view of the person who had the 22,he had the implied odds to call,he did,and look what happend to him.