Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 05:36 PM

Default A3s from button...rainbow flop, bot pair and BD flush draw...ok?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

<font color="blue">SB's 2nd hand at table. I don't know anything about him.</font>

Preflop: Hero is Button with 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB folds, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

<font color="blue">Well, I'm getting 9:1 here. I don't want to fold, so I'm raising instead...maybe get a free card.</font>

Turn: (7 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

River: (11 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 13 BB
Old 12-10-2005, 08:18 PM

Default Re: A3s from button...rainbow flop, bot pair and BD flush draw...ok?

I'd just call the flop. You certainly dont have the best hand, youre not raising for value, and there is no guarantee that you will get your free card. I'd be happy to call closing the action hoping to turn just the card you did.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:55 PM

I'm sorry but that flop raise is really bad. What are you trying to do?

I'm guessing you're one of those guys with an AF of like 5.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry but that flop raise is really bad. What are you trying to do?

I'm guessing you're one of those guys with an AF of like 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, it's not that bad. It's 3.03 over 12.5k Party 2/4 hands. I think it was around 2.5 when I played .5/1. Thanks for the input. Maybe I should tone it down before I get myself into some trouble.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:06 PM

id actually peel on the flop. with backdoors you dont necessarily care about the free card. your raise doesnt protect your hand at all. I dont think the benefit of getting a free card on your 5 outer is profitable enough to overcome when you get 3-bet and have to pay an extra BB on your crappy draw or when SB donks the turn.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:07 PM

Aggression is good. Just start thinking about WHY you are making these aggressive plays. On a board with a king and a queen, and against an opponent you don't know and a few callers, do you think you are ever going to have the best hand? Don't you think the king and queen make it likely you will get 3-bet or donked on the turn, thus ruining your free card play? Are there any other reasons why raising may or may not be good? These are questions you should ask yourself while you are playing.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
id actually peel on the flop. with backdoors you dont necessarily care about the free card. your raise doesnt protect your hand at all. I dont think the benefit of getting a free card on your 5 outer is profitable enough to overcome when you get 3-bet and have to pay an extra BB on your crappy draw or when SB donks the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's a good point. If I hadn't gotten lucky on the turn, I've now made the pot big enough to make me want to chase my crappy 5 outer after he donks. Like Jake (The Snake) said, I need to think more carefully at the table.