Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 06:49 PM

Default Re: terrible way to lose a fight...

IM A BRAZILLIAN DANCE FIGHTER!!!!!!!!! HEEYA!
Old 06-24-2005, 07:02 PM

As we gain wisdom and experience through age, most of us are smart enough to never get in that position in the first place.

Having said that, I see a guy drop into a stance like that, it's Nature's way of saying, "Just swallow your pride and walk away, mother[censored]."

Live and learn, dumbass.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:15 PM

yeah, if it was really that big a deal id at least find a weapon of some sort, instead of flailing like a sissy and getting wrecked.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:25 PM

Learning is definitely best done while still alive!
Old 06-24-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know if that was an actual style of fighting that kid was using or was he just goofing around?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's probably a low or mid belt at best. But it got the job done.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

yep. it reminded me of that video of the karate instructor who had that pimp walk up to him trying to start a fight. he didn't get all into a stance or anything, but when the guy got close, he plants slightly and knocks the guy silly with a backhand strike to the temple. i would have been more impressed if this guy did that instead of goin all crazy with his stances...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, got a link to that? Sounds kinda funny, I wouldn't mind seeing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a similar vein, my friends told me of a boxer they knew once who get really drunk and drug dealer tried to sell him something. Well, the kid didn't want anything, so he started walking away, but the dealer grabbed him by the shoulder to spin him around.

Bad idea.

The boxer, on instinct, just punched him right in the chest. The dealer collapsed, and the boxer and his group of friends left. The thing is they're pretty sure he killed the guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was a black belt in karate actually, not a boxer.

-SmileyEH
Old 06-24-2005, 07:43 PM

MY BAD!
Old 06-25-2005, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Looked like choi lee fut to me. They use those huge looping swings. If you let one of those land, you're in trouble, cuz they pack some power.

[/ QUOTE ]
whats the point of getting in that stance if your just gonna swing your arms around like a drunk retard? it apparently can be egffective, but is there really a need for the stance?
Old 06-25-2005, 01:58 AM

I would imagine it's just a way of getting planted and, in this case, being able to most effectively use torque from your entire body to land a powerful blow.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:00 AM

if Im ever in a fight and I knock the guy out, Im whipping my dick out and pissing on him. Im totally serious too.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Looked like choi lee fut to me. They use those huge looping swings. If you let one of those land, you're in trouble, cuz they pack some power.

[/ QUOTE ]
whats the point of getting in that stance if your just gonna swing your arms around like a drunk retard? it apparently can be egffective, but is there really a need for the stance?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's more to the guy's swinging than it appears, though it's not everybody's idea of the best way to punch, and not mine either.

The foundation of asian martial arts is having a strong foundation -- balance and stance. That squat, the "horse stance," is common to almost every asian martial art. It allows for a stance that's tremendously stable side to side and can function as a platform for different movements, including hand strikes, and can make the power of the legs and hips easy to transfer through the arms and fists and hands. It keeps the center of balance low and helps make the body parts connect automatically.

A low squat like that, as the poster above notes, helps you torque your full body into long-range, circular strikes. It's not a stance that lends itself to great speed, but the long straight-arm circular strikes are meant more to confuse and smash through along the whole of the arm and hand than to be especially fast.

As you saw, though, they can be fast enough. It's not the easiest way to strike and not one of my favorites, but as weird as it looks, there is some logic to it.

You have to remember that the core aspects of asian martial arts really are martial -- military. Big, broad stances and large circular movements are at the core of so many fighting styles because these styles were used with weapons, which are heavy and have to generate enough force to pierce armor. Additionally, the soldier has to use broad movements to move his weapons around his own cumbersome armor. Those big broad stances and large circular movements help you handle things like shields and swords and spears, and sweep those of others out of the way or crush them or slice through them, as well as brace you for the attacks of others on sometimes changing and unstable ground. The sturdy stances and large movements of the battlefields could also be more quickly taught soldiers of every body type than refined movements which take much more study and aren't necessarily appropriate for the battlefield.

Those movements carried over into unarmed fighting. Arms were referred to as swords, hands as knives, and fists as hammers not merely from colorful metaphor, but also because some of the same movements were applied to the body that were used with weapons.

Some of those movements were greatly expanded upon and refined in different systems, and some of the best and probably some of the worst aspects carried over too. But these training methods and tools were actually meant to and did kill people and win wars, and come from a base of proven practicality. That doesn't mean ideas can't be improved on or added to, or that there aren't refinements in fighting peculiar to the use of the human body alone when it is unarmed, that spring from its natural movements and limits. Martial arts have had a long time to develop those aspects of fighting, too.

But there's no doubt a good martial artist of any style can generate extraordinary power, and you don't want his blows to land. The swinging blows of the choy li fut guy may look ridiculous, but they're not just totally wild, and they're very different from the haymakers you see drunks in bars doing, and can unload a lot of refined power onto you if they get through. Remember too that choy li fut men will also use those movements in coordination with kicks and sweeps -- one of those things crashing down onto your collarbone while your foot is being heeled out in the opposite direction will not only cause tremendous damage when it lands but help to pivot you off balance and drive your back and shoulders into the ground.

Whether the blows actually land is a personal matter between y'all. But they can very easily be knock-out punches if they do.