Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 02:08 AM

Default How did I play this hand?

This table has been extremely loose, especially the PFR, and I'm wondering how I played this hand... Obviously it seems like the river call was stupid, but I made a crying call that obviously cost me a BB...

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.33 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, UTG folds, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.66 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

River: (14.66 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP3 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 17.66 BB
Old 12-19-2005, 02:13 AM

Default Re: How did I play this hand?

well, ur certainly not ahead at the turn, and aiming for a free SD against MP3 isn't the best play with an UI river, so I would call this turn as well as the buttons raise, then check/fold the river. also, if the table is as loose as you say, i would raise pf as well.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:24 AM

I'd probably raise the flop, which could be for value with your top pair and one-card OESD and backdoor flush.

On the turn, I don't think I would raise. Although Button could have raised the flop hoping to take a free card (if he has, say, AK or JJ) and MP3 may just be donking a hand like AT or JT, I am thinking you'll frequently be behind here.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:51 AM

PREFLOP: Its close between calling and raising. Calling looks fine to me

FLOP: When the MP3 bets, you need to raise right away, just calling here in this big pot is very bad. If the Button has a hand like AK, you need to put as much pressure on him as you can.

TURN: To make my analysis easier I will assume the button will never fold a better hand to your raise:

Even though you have 17 outs to a better hand(excluding Jack outs), for this raise to be correct there still needs to be some possibility that you may have the best hand at this point, or the turn raise doesnt make sense. Do I think theres a chance you have the best hand at this point? Yes I do.

There are many players who are capable of raising this flop with hands like AK,AJ,AT,JJ,JTs, either becuz they are aggressive or they are going for a free card. And there is still a decent chance you are ahead of the MP3 guy given that he did not 3 bet the flop and hes donking the turn(the typical opponent will usually checkraise the turn if they really like their hand)

I will admit that the probability that you have both opponents beat at this point is still low, but becuz you have so many outs(17) and the pot is large, you dont need to have the best hand here very often to make this raise correct. Therefore I like your turn raise, becuz it protects your hand the few times it is good in this spot.

I would also like to add that if you do think the button is capable of folding better hands then raising the turn is definitely the best play. Assuming the button will never fold a better hand, it is close between calling the turn and raising the turn. I think raising the turn is better than calling the turn for the reasons I mentioned.

Once your 3 bet on the turn, you have an easy call obviously.

RIVER: Given the action of the hand, I do not think your hand is good here better than 1/17.66 times unless the button is a complete maniac, so folding here is better than calling with no reads on your opponents IMO, but I wouldnt feel too bad about calling in this spot, it is only a small mistake at best.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:55 AM

Raise preflop with that hand in the CO. Raise on the flop. If raised, reraise. You're hand will fare extremely well against 2 opponents. You have top pair, OESD, and backdoor flush draw. Reraise on the turn. River is fine.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:58 AM

Somehow, after noting the backdoor flush on the flop, I missed the fact that Hero picked up a flush draw on the turn.

Since Hero did pick up a flush draw (to go with the top pair and one-card OESD he already had), I like the turn raise. Hero has a lot of potential outs, and his equity should be decent here (plus, there is some chance still that he's winning).
Old 12-20-2005, 01:47 PM

Well the button turns over J8 offsuit, and MP3 turns over J10... Am I an idiot, or should people not be raising with multiple limpers with J8...
Old 12-20-2005, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
should people not be raising with multiple limpers with J8...

[/ QUOTE ]

No, J8o is not a good multiway raising hand. Button just got lucky, this time.