Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 02:47 AM

Default How Do I Learn To Play Guitar/Name Some Good Acoustic Songs

I don't know why, but I've always wanted to learn to play the guitar. I've never really even touched a guitar before other than some random goofing around with one. Does anyone have a suggestion for a gameplan? Do these music stores that offer lessons worth it or should I look into a private music teacher? Is this just something I should just give up on since it takes a ton of dedication?

I'm also looking for some good acoustic songs. Educate me as I just have a couple songs like an Incubus song & a Foo Fighters song.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:50 AM

Default Re: How Do I Learn To Play Guitar/Name Some Good Acoustic Songs

buy a cheap one (+case and strap) and a self-learning book is the cheapest way to go. Lessons are a faster track, but dearer.

If you're a little person, get a 3/4 guitar, they are very good too, and less bulky in storage/transport.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:08 AM

I don't play acoustic much but when I do my favorite songs to play are Tears in Heaven and Classical Gas. Tears in Heaven shouldn't be too tough for a beginner although you definitly need some practice before you attempt Classical Gas.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:08 AM

Get a teacher. You'll be forced to do things like learn sheet music and play "correctly" which is extremely valuable. You'll also get quite a bit of music theory which will help you when you decide to cross over to other instruments.

As for great acoustic songs, I'd recommend anything by James Taylor. Women fscking melt when you play "Something In The Way She Moves", and it's not that hard to learn. You'll need to learn Stairway because, while it may be trite because everyone knows it, everyone knows it. Plus it'll help you learn finger picking.

Keep in mind an acoustic is played just like an electric, so anything you could learn for an electric can be translated with ease assuming you're not learning on a classical guitar, which can be a bit harder. The only real difference between an electric and acoustic is thicker strings and higher action. That's about it.

Good luck, and remember - the faster you get the blisters, the faster you get the calluses [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2005, 04:11 AM

electric is very much different than accoustic. Many strong electric players fall apart when they go to play accoustic, and vice-versa. Sure, the basics are pretty much the same, but the sorts of things you play are much different.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

As for great acoustic songs, I'd recommend anything by James Taylor. Women fscking melt when you play "Something In The Way She Moves", and it's not that hard to learn. You'll need to learn Stairway because, while it may be trite because everyone knows it, everyone knows it. Plus it'll help you learn finger picking.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was waiting for someone to raise playing to girls on the stairs at parties - I'm with Bluto (Animal house) on this one, but actually this specific suggestion about 'something' is pretty good.

Stairway - noooooooo!
Old 11-20-2005, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Many strong electric players fall apart when they go to play accoustic, and vice-versa

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe 17 year old power-chord hungry pedal addicts might have a problem, but no solid guitar player I've ever met has had this trouble.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Many strong electric players fall apart when they go to play accoustic, and vice-versa

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe 17 year old power-chord hungry pedal addicts might have a problem, but no solid guitar player I've ever met has had this trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree, acoustic players have no problem at all with electric. Maybe the other way round re finger strength (harder to press acoustic strings), but this is minor and wouldn't take long to fix.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:16 AM

learn the following:
Driver 8 - REM
Frying Pan - Evan Dando (writtein by Victoria Willaims)
Throwing Things - Superchunk

Enjoy!
Old 11-20-2005, 04:16 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i'm a decent guitarist and i learned by screwing around and trying to play things