Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2005, 12:42 AM

Default Easier money to be made in limit or no limit?

I'm interested in playing semi-professionally online while I am in college and I am wondering if I would make money more steadily and easily playing limit or no limit. Currently I am a no limit player at the $25 NL level. Would it be easier to grind out a standard amount (I know variance must be accounted for) in limit? I'm only looking to pull in about $1000 per month right now.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Easier money to be made in limit or no limit?

I personally think limit is easier. People are willing to throw around money more readily when their risk is minimized by the limits on the betting, I find.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:49 AM

limit!
Old 02-03-2005, 01:00 AM

Well if you are looking purely from a money standpoint I would have to say no limit. If you are playing 25 NL at party I would highly recommend learning the 6 max games.

The basis for saying no limit is that at the 25NL 6 max games you can easily crush the games for about 15 BB/100 while at something like .5/1 or 1/2 on the very high end of things you could get maybe 5-7 BBs/100.

So according to the numbers above if you want to make 1,000 a month you would need to play about 6,000 hands a month for NL but would need to play 10,000+ a month at .5/1 and be crushing this limit to achieve your goal.

However the consensus around here seems to be that from a long term standpoint there is more money to be made in limit at the higher levels.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well if you are looking purely from a money standpoint I would have to say no limit. If you are playing 25 NL at party I would highly recommend learning the 6 max games.

The basis for saying no limit is that at the 25NL 6 max games you can easily crush the games for about 15 BB/100 while at something like .5/1 or 1/2 on the very high end of things you could get maybe 5-7 BBs/100.

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez man, those winrates are ridiculous.

I've played both limit and NL quite a bit, and I think that capped buyin NL is an easier game to beat with relatively little experience. It's pretty easy to peddle the nuts in NL and show a good profit. It's also a lot easier on a small bankroll, there's less swings in NL.

That being said, there is more money to be made in the limit games for more experienced players.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:46 AM

Limit is a better cash game, but get ready to experience some swings.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Geez man, those winrates are ridiculous.

I've played both limit and NL quite a bit, and I think that capped buyin NL is an easier game to beat with relatively little experience. It's pretty easy to peddle the nuts in NL and show a good profit. It's also a lot easier on a small bankroll, there's less swings in NL.

That being said, there is more money to be made in the limit games for more experienced players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the limit winrate is ridiculous, but is 15 BB/100 at 25 NL 6 max really that absurd ? That is my current winrate for the last month at party over about 6,000-7,000 hands. If I remember correctly snowbank achieved similar results during some of his challenges at these limits.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:58 AM

6-7K hands is a joke. That winrate for NL probably isn't absurd for the best players. I've seen 10 bb/hour thrown around here and that must be about 15/100.

-Michael
Old 02-03-2005, 02:06 AM

I've played both NL (up to 200NL on party) and limit (up to 5/106max) extensively and I agree with Justin's assessment completely. For a relatively inexperienced player, it is MUCH easier to make money playing capped buyin NL on a site like party with short buyins. Its not even close.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:09 AM

NL is easier for a good player (relative limits). You simply push a bigger edge.