Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 06:10 PM

Default Calling other players \"fish\", \"rookie\", \"amateur\", etc.

Playing on Party lately, I have noticed an increase in the level of rudeness. This rudeness primarily consists of bad players telling other bad players that they are "fish" or an "amateur" or "rookie". When I say "bad player" I mean just that, someone whose basic strategy and logic are severely lacking.

When I first started playing online a couple years ago this didn't bother me, but I was afraid that too much of this name-calling may encourage these losers to improve their game. Now I know this is not the case.

Recently I find myself being extremely entertained when someone with a 50+ VPIP, 2% PFR is berating someone with similar stats and both of them are consistently calling raises with hands like Ax offsuite and J4 suited. Maybe it is the weed, but this name-calling sometimes brings on gut-busting laughter for me.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:30 PM

Default Re: Calling other players \"fish\", \"rookie\", \"amateur\", etc.

When average-bad players berate my ultra-bad-fish-buddies I nearly always stick up for my fish buddies and make fun of the average-bad players (plus defend my ultra-fish-buds)
Old 11-05-2005, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When average-bad players berate my ultra-bad-fish-buddies I nearly always stick up for my fish buddies and make fun of the average-bad players (plus defend my ultra-fish-buds)

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here.

Also I have also noticed an increase in rudeness.

One question, what do you normally say to defend them? I usually say something like, "Losers always try to tell the winners how to play."

Any better ones?
Old 11-06-2005, 06:21 AM

I have always felt that ANYONE who uses the term "fish" a lot isn't thinking about poker with the right attitude. A good player will focus on improving his own game istead of emphasizing how bad someone else is. Thus anyone who usess this term exessively probably isn't very good themselves.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:43 AM

and this usually occurs after a suckout... a time when a true shark shouldnt be emotional, and also a true shark would understand that the right moves were made, and want the fishie to continue making those moves.

I just file it away in notes, and move on.

remember, this can be used against them later.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have always felt that ANYONE who uses the term "fish" a lot isn't thinking about poker with the right attitude. A good player will focus on improving his own game istead of emphasizing how bad someone else is. Thus anyone who usess this term exessively probably isn't very good themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

right! I don't think a good player will call anybody on the table fish.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here.

Also I have also noticed an increase in rudeness.

One question, what do you normally say to defend them? I usually say something like, "Losers always try to tell the winners how to play."

Any better ones?

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. I will sometimes defend them by saying something like "well, he is winning" or "you seem to know alot to be losing so often".

Since few of them know much, if any, about real strategy I sometimes throw in statements like "Q-4 offsuite is my favorite hand, it always wins for me". I figure it may help them to identify and see me as a total newbie.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This has the added perk of possibly tilting the average-bad player, which is good for you also. Using the terms "whiner" and "sore loser" tends to help.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Losers always try to tell the winners how to play."

[/ QUOTE ]
I like this one. I usually go with "let's try to behave ourselfs". It makes the fish feel good and reminds the berater that they're extremely immature. And sometimes brings about maniacal play from the tilted berater. And rarely "haven't you heard, this is a pro only table?" it's up to them to pick up the sarcasm (btw, this is at 2/4).

I'd also like to add I find there's a huge difference between the mentality of loose-passive and the loose-aggressive. I've seen many loose-passives driven away or at least tightened up by insults and berateings. They're typically there to gamble and have a good time and don't want any trouble. The lags are usually there for the competition and enjoy a good pissing match. When they get berated it makes them play "tougher" not scared. Getting into it with the bad lags can be +EV, IMO.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:18 PM

I usually say

"Do I get $10 every time you call me a donkey?" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]