Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 06:18 PM

Default Full time tournament players..

I've been playing poker for about 2 years now, playing online only since this past July. I don't play for a living, I don't ever plan to play for a living. I play poker purely for entertainment. I learned the game with a "tournament" mindset. Cash games just don't do it for me. I love tournaments.. accumulating chips, watching the field shrink, the rush of making a FT, etc.

With that in mind, I have a few questions to ask those of you who play MTT full-time, or very frequently.

- Which sites do you prefer.. factors would include quality of the field, starting chip stack, blind structure

- What are the best tournament options in the $10-$50 buy in range?

- What are the best Sattelite opportunities? For example, I love watching the Stars 700K FT because of the amount of money at stake. The problem is I don't have a few hundred bucks to throw down on a weekly basis, esp. with such a huge field to beat. Are there any notable "cheap" options to get into these games?

- This is obviously a question without any definite answer, but just a ballpark idea... How often do you "expect" a big cash? That is to say, how frequent is this for a good tournament player? Do you expect one a week, a month, a year?

- Do you multi-table tournaments? I find it very difficult to play multiple- MTT. I can play 4-6 SnG's at a time w/o too much trouble, but I like to play one MTT at a time, w/o any other distractions.. is this common?

- How do you approach rebuy tournaments?

Like I said, I have no intention of playing poker for a living. I consider myself to be a solid player.. I can beat by home game regularly..beat most campus games regularly.

I'm just looking for some feedback from player who play online MTT frequently.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:44 PM

Default Re: Full time tournament players..

- Which sites do you prefer.. factors would include quality of the field, starting chip stack, blind structure

Pokerstars: huge fields, not hard fields, decent blind structure.

Party Poker is good for a few big tournamnets like the Supers or the 40k.. but other than those, i think Stars is better.

the Stars '45k' is a 10r at 10:15 EST, the Party 40k is a 20+2, those are the two biggest in your pricec range, but you can find plenty more throughout the day on Stars.

- What are the best Sattelite opportunities? For example, I love watching the Stars 700K FT because of the amount of money at stake. The problem is I don't have a few hundred bucks to throw down on a weekly basis, esp. with such a huge field to beat. Are there any notable "cheap" options to get into these games?

the 3r satelite is supposed to be the weakest one, it's to the 500k each week, they run a lot. the $36+3 freezeouts are also good satelites. Some people really like the 10r turbo ones too.

- This is obviously a question without any definite answer, but just a ballpark idea... How often do you "expect" a big cash? That is to say, how frequent is this for a good tournament player? Do you expect one a week, a month, a year?

Dunnno.. whenever they happen.

- Do you multi-table tournaments? I find it very difficult to play multiple- MTT. I can play 4-6 SnG's at a time w/o too much trouble, but I like to play one MTT at a time, w/o any other distractions.. is this common?

A lot of the people i talk to like playing MTT's with no distractions, but i dont really care.. i got all kinds of things going, and i play lots at a time. when i get deep in one i tend to neglect the others, but oh well. i like playing a lot at a time.

i play it a little looser than normaly, and way more aggressive. i pretend mym 3000 stack is <10BB's a lot.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been playing poker for about 2 years now, playing online only since this past July. I don't play for a living, I don't ever plan to play for a living. I play poker purely for entertainment. I learned the game with a "tournament" mindset. Cash games just don't do it for me. I love tournaments.. accumulating chips, watching the field shrink, the rush of making a FT, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, I've been a cash game player for almost 2 years now and still try to force myself to play them, but I have slowly developped a hatred for them and a love for tournaments. If CSC happens to read this, how do you manage to play 12309123 or whatever hands a day and not want to kill yourself?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to play only at Party but I've also been playing stars a bit recently. I like both much more than any other site I've tried. Both have pretty big fields and fairly reasonable structures.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What Exitonly said. Also, just look on Party/Stars, they both run tons of tournaments in that range a day.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love the turbo satellites. They only take an hour and a half and the fields are fairly weak.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Two in January, one in August and a couple medium ones this month....sooo, not often...but they're worth the wait

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing one table makes me concentrate less. I can't do it, I just start doing other stuff. So I like to play a lot of tables (up to 8 cash games tables or maybe 5-6 tournaments)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Looser than normal, very willing to gamble in close spots. Always rebuy to start and double rebuy if busted. Always add-on.

Hope this helps,

Steve
Old 11-29-2005, 08:23 PM

I like utimate Bet, if you can play afternoons there are some nice $20 and $30 tournies around 3-6 o'clock UB server time guarenteed prize pools but 120-160 runners and a decent slow blind structure.

Not so sure what its like there american peak times as I tend to be in bed.