Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Why do Atheists so full of hate ?

This post has nothing to do with the existence of God so don't even go there. I want to know what motivates atheists not just to disagree with religion, but to actually hate it.

Why do Atheists HATE religion ?
Old 07-07-2005, 12:52 AM

Default Re: Why do Atheists so full of hate ?

Why do theists make such sweeping generalizations?
Old 07-07-2005, 01:45 AM

Don't those involved with organized religion hate atheists more?
Old 07-07-2005, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This post has nothing to do with the existence of God so don't even go there. I want to know what motivates atheists not just to disagree with religion, but to actually hate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-07-2005, 02:23 AM

OK, I'll bite.

I don't hate religion, but it bugs me. I think it's the fact that many its adherents live in a state of denial. I believe this to be the worst of all human traits.

Just to be clear, this isn't religion specific. When 50% of America believes that we invaded Iraq because it was partly responsible for 9/11, it frustrates me (I was pro war btw). When people believe you can cut back on children's education without any consequences to society, it annoys me. When people think it's ok to give their kids amphetamines such as speed, instead of seeing they're too lazy/weak/self involved to parent properly, it bothers me. When a friend of mine is with a man who abuses her, and she refuses to see it, I let it be but it makes me sad. When I see quacks peddling homeopathy to people who are genuinely sick, and believing in it themselves, I have something to say about it. When I see doctors claiming that drugs are the only option for things like high blood pressure (where there is clear scientific evidence to the contrary), I have something to say.

I'm against many things that are against objective truth, freedom of thought, freedom of belief and rationality. Religion is just one of them. With religion, people are indoctrinated from childhood into small minded ideas that they carry with them for the rest of their life. Which ideas they get depends entirely on where they grew up. They have no choice in the matter.

I have no problem with someone who wants to believes in a higer power/God/a spiritual afterlife, and acknowledges his beliefs for what they are. I have a tendency toward that myself.

It's the people who believe (either expressly or implied) that their religion/belief system is reality, and that its ridiculous claims are true. They bother me.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:03 AM

Quote: "I'm against many things that are against objective truth, freedom of thought, freedom of belief and rationality"

I owe much of my income to irrational behaviour.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:10 AM

You a used car salesman?
Old 07-07-2005, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I wasn't aware that athiests HATE religion.

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-07-2005, 03:35 AM

Default (shrug) No hate

Long ago, I have realized that bringing logic and common sense into any discussion with religious people about the existence ro non-existence of God makes them, sooner or later, a little furious.

It happened in class, a long time ago, it happens in my every day life and it happens again now, in the 2+2 forum. I guess Sklansky's provocative posts are the culprit, right now, for the religious posters' indignation.

I find Sklansky's posts on the subject extremely incisive and educational. Approach them as you would his poker advice and look for inconsistencies, misunderstandings or falsehoods - but not "hate". Sklansky would welcome a proof of the existence of God the same way he would welcome a proof that raising UTG with any kind of holding has positive EV. In both cases, he would be pleased as a scientist -- although probably ticked, as well, for not noticing the proof himself beforehand.

(BTW, it should be noted that Sklansky merely points out the lack of substantial evidence as to the existence or non-existence of God; he does not claim that there is evidence enough that God does not exist and he is not on some atheist campaign!)
Old 07-07-2005, 05:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

because of the evil it causes.