Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2004, 08:13 PM

Default Re: What do you do with this draw?

Start by doing a search for the words "Sklansky Karlson". Might be hyphenated. It is a thread, i beleive on poker theorey forum, from 3 or 4 months ago. Sklansky asked if one of the math types could come up with a better hand grouping, and offered a $200 bounty for the guy who could do it. I'm not completely convinced, I have a couple of disagreements with it or more correctly unanswered questions, but it is a starting place to find a better analysis of starting hands.

Doc
Old 03-19-2004, 09:03 PM

I would rather have KQo than 22 or Axs against an early position min raise. I can usually figure out if I'm ahead or behind on the hand with kq, but with the other two I'm not sure. This happens to be one of the times when kq isn't a clear cut play. If you continue with kq on this flop let me ask one question, Would you continue with 22? Maybe I'm crazy but I would check-fold in this situation and wait for a better chance to pick up chips. It's too early in the tourney to risk almost half your chips. But then again maybe I'm crazy.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:09 PM

If I have Ax or 22 and I hit it, of course, I bet it. Hard. If I don't hit it, it is an automatic fold.

You have KQo, catch a Q on the flop (or even a K, but not both). For sake of argument let's say the flop is K 9 2 rainbow, and I bet somewhere between 5BB and allin into you... NOW what do you do????????

Doc
Old 03-20-2004, 03:35 AM

I'm not exactly sure what your question is, but if I have KQo and the flop comes K 9 2 rainbow and you bet all in for 5bb's, then I call and hope you don't have a better kicker or a set. I just wouldn't call a raise preflop with Axs or 22. Especially 22 because it's unlikely that it will hit and when it doesn't I don't know what cards beat me. With A3 suited I'm really looking for a draw(I'm not too excited about an A 9 2 rainbow flop). So even if it does flop a flush draw(which is about as likely as flopping a set) it's still in the drawing situation.
Old 03-20-2004, 05:46 AM

I'm going to let this thread die at this point. We have expounded on the virtues of the different hands about as far as is reasonable.

The bottom line, to me at least, is that with the other hands, you KNOW when you have hit something that is probably the best hand at the table and you will bet, and you KNOW when you have missed and fold.

With the KQo, obviously you can bust it, or you can catch the extreme situation of KQ, KK, or QQ, but not very often. The most common situation, other than a complete bust, is you hit a K or you hit a Q... and you still don't know where you are at. Do I have the top hand? or does the bet in front of me have me badly covered????

In that situation, which is the most common one other than a complete bust, you are GAMBLING!

While I am willing to gamble, I did not come to the table to gamble, I came to the table to take your money! And in my opinion, KQo is not a good hand with which to do it.

Doc [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]