Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-27-2005, 07:41 PM

Default SH rookie post 2: 99 issues

I know not raising 99 is a sin, but this pot is destined to be 5-way, which makes me think set value. None of these opponents, including the BB, are folding PF.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>...

After hitting myself for not raising PF, I attempt to salvage dignity by donking an ugly flop. Was that another bad idea?

...<font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG folds, CO calls, Button calls, Hero folds.

I see no reason to see a turn.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:46 PM

Default Re: SH rookie post 2: 99 issues

[ QUOTE ]
I know not raising 99 is a sin, but this pot is destined to be 5-way, which makes me think set value. None of these opponents, including the BB, are folding PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

the reason that not raising it is a sin is more because you can win with it UI. You've got great equity vs the riffraff here, and don't be mistaken into the thought that you'll need to spike to win. two low cards on the flop is often enough.

[ QUOTE ]
After hitting myself for not raising PF, I attempt to salvage dignity by donking an ugly flop. Was that another bad idea?

[/ QUOTE ]

nope, I like it. lots of mid pocket pairs, deuces, and fives will call you here. if you would have raised pf you could have repped that king though.

[ QUOTE ]
...BB raises, UTG folds, CO calls, Button calls, Hero folds.

I see no reason to see a turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a 9 sb pot, but you've got no draws and two people left in the hand. I like a fold here, though mainly because of how dry this board is.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:49 PM

Not raising that preflop is pretty inexcusable IMO, but with the raise behind your flop bet (a bet that is probably correct) and the two cold callers, I think laying this down is probably correct.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:02 PM

you don't need anyone to fold pf to show a profit by raising. postflop is good.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:12 PM

I'd like to see a PFR here. You definitely have the equity edge against these opponents. Just remember there is nothing wrong with checking a crappy flop against 5 players. Post flop is good. This flop has decent fold equity and a lead protects your hand here. So betting is good. This is a clear fold to a raise as well. You're OOP with a very mediocre, vulnerable hand.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:26 AM

Easy fold here with cold callers on flop - we are definitely drawing to 2 only outs. The other option is to check the flop and see what happens. If it is checked around and the button raises, a ck raise will protect our hand when we may have the best of it.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you go about calculating this?
Old 12-28-2005, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you go about calculating this?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's just his opinion. It also happens to be the opinion of a lot of other people that have played hundreds of thousands of hands. These things are very hard to calculate mathematically. You would need to determine what the correct range is for all of our opponents. Then we would need to know how they play all of those possible hands on all possible flops, turns, and rivers. As you can see, this is basically impossible. Therefore, we must rely on experience.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:44 AM

ty leader [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] i didn't calculate anything. you're playing 1/2 with a UTG and button limper and random hand posting in the CO. 99 is looking pretty large right now, so i don't think not being able to knock anyone out should prevent you from raising it.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ty leader [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] i didn't calculate anything. you're playing 1/2 with a UTG and button limper and random hand posting in the CO. 99 is looking pretty large right now, so i don't think not being able to knock anyone out should prevent you from raising it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I figured the decision weighed in the odds you were being laid(8.5:1 to complete?) and knowing that you very likely arent behind any hand that has you dominated like that, which a bunch of limpers.

"Takes experience" works too though, and from my experience i would have very likely raised here, taking control of the hand. Not to mention how your trips get paid off after a preflop raise and a seemingly harmless 9 high flop [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]