Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 12-24-2005, 01:09 AM

Default moving up too quickly

Hi guys,

I've played at the 25NL since about october (10NL before that from a $75 deposit in september), maybe 9000 hands of 6max and another 12000 of full ring (I play only 6m now). Through whoring I got my roll up over a thousand, which is 20 buyins for the fifties so I moved up immediately after thanksgiving. Now it's christmas break and I've been playing for about 4 hours a day, and my roll is doubled again to $2000ish, so I'm moving up to the 100s (somewhat nerviously but fortunately I'm running well and have stacked a few donks at the 100s tonight). However, I've played less than 5000 hands at the 50s.

I'm posting because I am nervous that I am moving up far too quickly, just running into some good hands (and making the reads to go with them). Is this somewhat normal? Should I drop down to the 50s for another 10K hands or so? How long do you stay at one level before moving up? I can take the variance, I understand when to move back down; if I drop below 20 100NL buyins I'll probably drop to the 50s for a few thousand hands to build more confidence. Regardless, is moving up this quickly bad?

Thanks,
Dustin
Old 12-24-2005, 02:50 AM

Default Re: moving up too quickly

Being nervous imo is a bankroll drainer. Take your time. Move up when your comfortable.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Being nervous imo is a bankroll drainer. Take your time. Move up when your comfortable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but would also like to point out that staying too safe inhibits development. Losses should be a little painful. Not so painful that you can't still make the right plays or go on tilt, but painful enough to make you stay on your A game and keep trying to do better.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:14 PM

I agree with POV
Old 12-24-2005, 05:02 PM

I guess my take would be to say each of us are different in so many ways this would be a difficult Q to answer tailored to yourself.

My thoughts...
If you are moving up and truly know when to depart back to a prior comfort zone then you may be doing the right thing. Certainly this would be more true if you are winning through skilled play and not whimsical or lucky attempts at capturing the pot. Do a true (honest) analysis of your game.

It has become apparent to me that in poker you can be ever so close to playing a superior game but still ever so far from that game. There is no doubt in my mind that to really play well you have to not only be knowledgeable and patient but you also must have the ability to (really) capture information on how those around you play. This is not just how passive or agressive someone is but consists of many many things to be watchful of and learned for later use. You certainly seem to allready know this.

The comfort factor, learning from my own experience, comes from being placed in an uncomfortable situation and realizing that you can handle and master it. This I believe this is true of life in general and not just poker. Like playing poker, in life you can be close to acheiving comfort but still far far away.

Most of the real winners, in life, get there out of reasoned determination to have success. They take on reasoned risk which weigh in their long term favor. They know as only you will know when to face the fear and persue the comfort.

If the risk are well reasoned then I think you should persue it! I have learned that fear of failure can also be a positive motivation to succede. It really depends on how you honestly look at it and move correctly to change it.

Monty
Old 12-28-2005, 03:57 PM

I totally agree with this, however I feel 10,000 hands is a respectable number to shoot for before moving up.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but would also like to point out that staying too safe inhibits development. Losses should be a little painful. Not so painful that you can't still make the right plays or go on tilt, but painful enough to make you stay on your A game and keep trying to do better.

[/ QUOTE ]