Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 01:09 AM

Default women drivers?

a big stereotype is women are bad drivers blagh blagh blagh.

is it a true stereotype?
is it not possible that men are just better at hand eye coordination, spacial recognition, etc..?

up until the 20s (earliest) did men not do everything that involved these traits? when cars were built, did men not build and drive them up until the 20s?

i dont think its that men are smarter or anything, its just that what they are more capable of.

thoughts?

p.s. bad example
Old 12-10-2005, 02:56 AM

Default Re: women drivers?

I've tabulated some mental statistics on stuff like how many times I've seen drivers turn the steering wheel in a parked position without the car moving at all, and it's something like 49-1 in favor of women. Men somehow instinctively feel that this is bad for the tires, the steering column, the whole steering mechanism etc., yet women either don't feel it, don't care, or both.

But of course insurance rates for males, especially the young'uns, are much higher than for females and I don't think that's because of prejudice. Young men tend to take more risks which is much worse for innocent bystanders than just beating the crap out of your car.

I've never let any woman drive any car of mine, nor do I intend to, but if I could choose who should be on the roads, I'd say anyone except males under 25, unless they prove they have testosterone deficiency or are very obese or something like that.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:19 PM

basicly im asking if skills can be evolved for a specific gender of the same species
Old 12-11-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
basicly im asking if skills can be evolved for a specific gender of the same species

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, my hens don't crow if that's anywhere near where you're thinking.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:27 PM

I think a lot of the inherent differences between men and women are related to the theory (fact?) that men hunted while women took care of kids and gathered for thousands of years during our evolution.

For example, men generally talk only when there is something to say while women tend to chit chat about anything and everything. A hunter might lose his concentration or scare away his prey by talking unnecessarily. A gatherer talks to help pass the time. Makes sense, right?

Also, men are better at thinking deeply about a single complex problem that requires concentration while women are better multi-taskers. Again, men had to concentrate to hunt while women had to multi-task.

I suppose driving a car well is more like hunting than gathering, so that could be why men are better at it.

I think it's also close to fact status that men are genetically better at math and sciences than women, and that women are better at languages.

So the short answer to your question is yes, not only can they but they already did.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:46 PM

Tests do show that most men have better hand-eye coordination than most women (the qualifying is important) and that they also are better at spatial tasks and have better depth perception. However they also tend to have much more testosterone which causes them (esp. under 25) to take many more risks. Women tend to have many fewer accidents and are far less likely to drive drunk.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:41 PM

Women drivers are just terrible. Whenever someones being ridiculously passive while driving to the point it obstructs traffic, or generally doing idiotic things, its always some crayzay biazatch
Old 12-12-2005, 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and there are many example of it, but it takes a longer time that the history of automobile for the phenotype to become apparent/manifest itself.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Women drivers are just terrible. Whenever someones being ridiculously passive while driving to the point it obstructs traffic, or generally doing idiotic things, its always some crayzay biazatch

[/ QUOTE ]

this thread makes me l o l
Old 12-12-2005, 09:22 AM

There is a slight difference in hemispheric specialization between men and women, but there's so much crossover and so many exceptions that this idea is largely redundant. There's also much debate as to whether these differences are socialized.

So maybe there's a bit of something in that, but there's so many exceptions it's pretty meaningless. What'd be more interesting is talking about these differences as they apply to poker.......