Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 12:49 PM

Default 2/5 NL - Villian Out To Get Me

I started back playing again (first time at this site in a month, and a month break after a single session) at a site. It's a smaller site, so I have a reputation by many of the regulars as a huge LAG. Usually this is when I play shorthanded, but I won't play as crazy at a full table (not sure they realize this). I still will position raise fairly often.

Background to the hand in question:

I've been sitting about 3 orbits, full table, most people around $500 (2 people short, a huge fish with $1000), no one exceptionally bad except one player, but only one exceptionally good player (on my direct right). Most players are predictable and not so crazy.

I raise after everyone folds to me (once with 29s) to 15, and I am immediately reraised by the player on my left(doesn't like me) to 45. I fold. I raise again with rags a few hands later, he folds, a tighter player reraises to 45, and I fold. I reraise rags again, same player on my left reraises to 45, and I fold. (There are a few times where I raise, and steal the blinds or isolate against the fish as well).

Immediately after the last steal, I get KTo in late position. I make it 15 after everyone folds. Immediately reraised by villian to 40. I decide I've had enough of him, and call. Heads up to the flop.

Flop is K 3 4, rainbow. (pot ~100) I check, he bets $50, and I call. I figure I am most likely way ahead and let him hang himself.

Turn is 9, 2 hearts out (pot ~200). I have no hearts. I check again, he checks behind. I am now quite confident I'm way ahead.

River is an offsuit 8 (pot ~200). I bet 105. He pushes 300 more in. (Pot ~600)

What's my move? Is he just trying to bully me? Or did he wake up with a hand?

What other moves should I have made here?
Old 12-07-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Re: 2/5 NL - Villian Out To Get Me

None, maybe lead turn, maybe fold preflop.

I dont get why you keep raising garbage if you keep getting reraised. Just chill and wait for a hand.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:07 PM

Unless i have great read, I have a hard time calling this river bet with TP decent kicker.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless i have great read, I have a hard time calling this river bet with TP decent kicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

What range of hands do you put the villian on?
Old 12-07-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
None, maybe lead turn, maybe fold preflop.

I dont get why you keep raising garbage if you keep getting reraised. Just chill and wait for a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said earlier that this wasn't always happening, just happening more than it should. Many times I would rasie, isolate the fish (who would cold call any ace, etc...), and usually fold if he missed, and rarely raise me. Raising was generally +EV (at least it seemed to be) since I was getting heads up with the fish a ton by doing this.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:58 PM

I thought you were ahead before the river.

This is the danger of being LAG, you have no idea if they have a good hand or are just making a play because it's you.

I'm actually pretty tempted to call this. He either has a monster, or a no-pair/low-pair type hand. If he had a solid 1 pair, his play on the turn was to bait you, and he should be just calling the river, not pushing.

It looks like you're making a move, so he could easily be making one back.

Since you've been really LAGish, if he has two pair or better (or AA), he should probably be firing again on the turn, hoping to extract more from you, right? Unless you've been check/calling flop and then check/folding turn alot (which I doubt), I think you can call this.

I'd put him on AT, AJ, AQ type hand, or possibly QQ, JJ, TT (where he was fairly certain he was ahead, but just to be sure you don't have a weak K). Maybe even two broadway hearts that missed the flop, but picked up the flush draw on the turn.

The only thing that really scares me is 88.

Close your eyes and call.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:18 PM

Default Results

I get sick when he pushes, and come to the same conclusion as rwanger. Against another player, I almost always insta-muck. I figure the only hands I'm in danger against are 99 and 88. If he had AK, I doubt he pushes here and just calls. AA probably would have bet the turn.

Villian turns over black ATo for no pair no draw the whole way. The turn check really made me think that he didn't have much.

I hate spewing chips here with such a weak hand, but I guess it wasn't as awful a call as it seemed to me afterward.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
I get sick when he pushes, and come to the same conclusion as rwanger. Against another player, I almost always insta-muck. I figure the only hands I'm in danger against are 99 and 88. If he had AK, I doubt he pushes here and just calls. AA probably would have bet the turn.

Villian turns over black ATo for no pair no draw the whole way. The turn check really made me think that he didn't have much.

I hate spewing chips here with such a weak hand, but I guess it wasn't as awful a call as it seemed to me afterward.

[/ QUOTE ]

you'd feel less sick if you held KQ. wait for better broadway cards to call with, makes it much easier!
Old 12-07-2005, 07:23 PM

Definately fold PF. KTo is not a hand to make a stand with.

Check/call river.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:56 AM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
I get sick when he pushes, and come to the same conclusion as rwanger.

[/ QUOTE ]

w00t! Do I get a gold star?