Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-23-2005, 01:47 AM

Default This one really confused me.

Villain is 30/15/2 after 25 hands. That doesnt mean much I know. My thoughts on flop are if he is solid I cant make much on this hand, and could easily lose a bit. If he is donk I could easily get put to the test (with best hand) and have to fold. I let the timer run to 5 seconds before I made my decision, I was REALLY stumped.

IF he is normal 50nl Donk his range is something like Flush Draw>ace>crap draw (gutshot), Air, small pair, boat. Something like that. What to do against an unknown like him???

My image is solid, we had a SUPER AGGRO LAGGRO who I stacked preflop with a donkish sb limp reraise all in. (folds to SB, I limp with QQ. He makes it 10bb, I push, He calls, Ace flops, MHIG)
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 4 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

BB ($71.59)
Hero ($107.35)
Button ($58.30)
SB ($28.15)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls $1.50.

Flop: ($4.25) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $6</font>, Hero ???
Old 11-23-2005, 01:52 AM

Default Re: This one really confused me.

At this level cold calling won't usually send a message to most people. Overbetting the pot into the pre-flop raiser seems like a play too sophisticated for this level, so it smells like bluff. If you had a better read, I'd just call down here and let him continue to bluff, but as is I'd rather raise here and take down a small pot, or dump it if he comes back over the top.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:54 AM

I dont like raising KQ off in UTG becuase it's to marginal a hand and are oop when i get a caller [except in blinds]. This case villan can have anything from AQ-Ax to Kx but i dont think i want to risk any chips in this hand. Your either going to win small pots with hands like these or lose big ones.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont like raising KQ off in UTG becuase it's to marginal a hand and are oop when i get a caller [except in blinds]. This case villan can have anything from AQ-Ax to Kx but i dont think i want to risk any chips in this hand. Your either going to win small pots with hands like these or lose big ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think 4 handed this is the ideal play. Perhaps I'm wrong and someone can correct me, but I'd raise this everytime as well.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:57 AM

Raise and fold to reraise NEVER happens at these levels. You raise, villain calls with Ace, flush draw, maybe even queen. THen what?
Old 11-23-2005, 02:03 AM

If you raise a decent amount and he calls, then you use your position and play poker. He can't have ace AND flush draw. He either has one or the other or neither. Without a read, I'd raise here a modest amount and see what happends on the turn if he calls.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:16 AM

sorry didn't realize it was 4 handed. Yes raise pf is correct but im still folding the flop.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sorry didn't realize it was 4 handed. Yes raise pf is correct but im still folding the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you had an ace, why would you overbet the pot INTO the pre-flop raiser? I've seen people make these kinds of plays at 5/2 and above, but at .25/.50? More likely a bluff.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:31 AM

why? becuase it's deceptive and makes worse hands try to bluff them out of the pot. Thats why [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2005, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why? becuase it's deceptive and makes worse hands try to bluff them out of the pot. Thats why [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, like I said, I see this at higher limits, but people at these levels commonly like to sloooowplay, you know it's the cool thing to do right? They bet there made hands weak (to induce action) and bet there bluffs or marginal hands strong(generally speaking). I think long term raising here is +EV. Just my two cents.