Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-12-2005, 01:48 AM

Default SOOT: no comments in 3 hrs from the mtt forum, ur comments?

That would be "Sort of off topic"

This is the freeze out version of the Sat. This was my first attempt at this particular buyin. I was pretty amazed by the variety of skill shown thus far. About 110 started, 18 paid, very few gone from the field.

Level 2, blinds 30/15 my only general read that the table had tightened up a lot over the past 6 hands or so. It had been very laggy up to that point.

My PF minraise bet was very poor. I sometimes use that in the later rounds to induce action. Inducing action was my intent again, but my timing was poor. I assumed that the Villain in this hand could've called my weak PF bet with any 2 face, any A, suited connectors or a small - medium PP.

I donked up the flop as well, should've at least bet 2/3 - pot sized IMO but the flop really threw me. Blah, my bet looks weak.

Ignoring my PF play, what is your play on the turn here?

PokerStars Game #3026209652: Tournament #14704596, Hold'em No Limit - Level II (15/30) - 2005/11/10 - 22:08:35 (ET)
Table '14704596 7' Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: wbox (190 in chips)
Seat 2: ram80 (2905 in chips)
Seat 3: Villain (1275 in chips)
Seat 4: quick (2280 in chips)
Seat 5: J9 of Clubs (2420 in chips)
Seat 6: loop (1340 in chips)
Seat 8: Hero (3450 in chips)
Seat 9: Zba (1550 in chips)
ram80: posts small blind 15
Villain: posts big blind 30
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [Ac Ah]
quick folds
J9 of Clubs: folds
loop folds
Hero raises 30 to 60
Zba: folds
wbox: folds
ram80: folds
Villain calls 30
*** FLOP *** [Qs Ks Qh]
Villain checks
Hero bets 60
Villain raises 60 to 120
Hero calls 60
*** TURN *** [Qs Ks Qh] [2h]
Villain bets 390
Hero ?
Old 11-12-2005, 02:25 AM

Default Re: SOOT: no comments in 3 hrs from the mtt forum, ur comments?

Other than a bluff, what could he possible have that would have him bet this with a hand losing to your AA. This line doesn't seem to indicate a pair of kings, so you are beaten whenever he is not bluffing. Is he bluffing at this board when you've shown some strength, probably not. I think the play is folding here.

Edit (Posted it too soon): I think his flop raise signals a queen or even a boat that wants to raise, but is scared of betting too much and losing your action. Once you call, villain feels you like your hand, and increases his bet size hoping to get paid off with a big hand. I think his range is something around, {AQ,KQ} at this point if he is a thinking player, as smaller queens would slow down a little after being called on the flop, and KK/QQ would have reraised preflop. If he is a donk, the range could expand to {Qx where x>=9} which you are still behind. Tough break getting aces cracked, but cut your losses.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:35 AM

preflop definitely doesnt indicate a boat

edit: sorry for some reason the only hand that came to mind meaning a boat was KK... I need some sleep..
Old 11-12-2005, 05:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Edit (Posted it too soon): I think his flop raise signals a queen or even a boat that wants to raise, but is scared of betting too much and losing your action. Once you call, villain feels you like your hand, and increases his bet size hoping to get paid off with a big hand. I think his range is something around, {AQ,KQ} at this point if he is a thinking player, as smaller queens would slow down a little after being called on the flop, and KK/QQ would have reraised preflop. If he is a donk, the range could expand to {Qx where x>=9} which you are still behind. Tough break getting aces cracked, but cut your losses.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's far too often that we give our opponents credit for more than what they really have. My feelings are that monsters in this situation are check/call on the flop, and then check/min-raise on the turn. So I think our villain has KQ here 0% of the time.

Now let's put this from villain's point of view. He's also gambling that hero does not have a Queen, so can he scare him off the hand? But, maybe he does have a queen, and he's a little scared about the draws, so he wants to shut it down right away.