Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Wait for the turn with an overpair

I probably have the best hand on the flop, normally I just bet or raise when I think I'm ahead. But in this case I'm also very vulnerable on the turn and river. Would the correct play be to smooth call the flop and raise the turn if a blank ( <=8) falls?

Given the way I played it, is the turn bet ok?
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, SB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, SB calls.

River: (8 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, SB calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB
Old 10-30-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Wait for the turn with an overpair

I have to raise the flop to try to get overcards (like KJ) out of there.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:07 PM

Would you fold to any over on the turn then? Or just an A? etc.

I like your original line
Old 10-30-2005, 02:08 PM

I dont like waiting here, raise the flop
Old 10-30-2005, 02:32 PM

The pot is on the small side. You have the ability to offer terrible odds to MP, and even unfavorable ones to SB. There is no one trapped between you and SB. Raise it up now.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I probably have the best hand on the flop, normally I just bet or raise when I think I'm ahead. But in this case I'm also very vulnerable on the turn and river. Would the correct play be to smooth call the flop and raise the turn if a blank

[/ QUOTE ]

FLOP: For the very reason you state, I like an immediate raise to blow MP2 off any overcards or punish him for staying in with a hand like top pair and a gutshot. Punish the bettor SB right now also.

Just calling would offer MP 6:1 which lets him stay in with any pair also and gives him chances to make two pair or a set. Raise looks mandatory to me.

RIVER: I check with the four to a straight that just came in. You got calls, but I don't know why both those guys called you unless they had you beat. I would expect a fold or raise reply and to usually get little value from a river bet.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:54 PM

you really need to raise this preflop

and raise the flop, the way you did play it
Old 10-30-2005, 06:02 PM

I like the raise a lot. You probably have the best hand and as stated you need to push out or at least punish overcards.

I am wondering if anyone can make a case for raising preflop here just out of curiousity. It's more of a question for my play. Obviously it depends a lot on who is left to act, but assuming regular poor to average players behind you, would anyone raise? Is this too aggressive?
Old 10-30-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am wondering if anyone can make a case for raising preflop here just out of curiousity. It's more of a question for my play. Obviously it depends a lot on who is left to act, but assuming regular poor to average players behind you, would anyone raise? Is this too aggressive?

[/ QUOTE ]

its a fairly standard raise
Old 10-30-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I probably have the best hand on the flop, normally I just bet or raise when I think I'm ahead. But in this case I'm also very vulnerable on the turn and river. Would the correct play be to smooth call the flop and raise the turn if a blank

[/ QUOTE ]

FLOP: For the very reason you state, I like an immediate raise to blow MP2 off any overcards or punish him for staying in with a hand like top pair and a gutshot. Punish the bettor SB right now also.

Just calling would offer MP 6:1 which lets him stay in with any pair also and gives him chances to make two pair or a set. Raise looks mandatory to me.

RIVER: I check with the four to a straight that just came in. You got calls, but I don't know why both those guys called you unless they had you beat. I would expect a fold or raise reply and to usually get little value from a river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd much rather bet-fold the river. You get called by any 6 and possibly any made pair on the flop plus occasionally small pocket pairs which won't bet the river with the four-straight on the board.

Flop raise is standard.