Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 11:28 PM

Default Re: 74s big blind defense against a 2+2er who got mad at me.

Well there are a few different ways that he could have played this hand. Raising somewhere is certainly a valid move though it probably doesn't figure to work on this flop with 2 thinking players. If Myles has an ace (and not AK or aces up) it doesn't really do him much good to throw a raise in. The villian will be drawing to a 20:1 or 30:1 shot too often to not play it slow. So the plan for MD will be to raise the best aces and then raise some garbage hands like 74s. Stuff like AT should just be called to get maximum value from hands like KQ/QJ/KT/etc. This is a very effective strategy IMO. I'm pretty sure that he would have raised the turn if he did not pick up the OESD but I could be wrong about that. Another valid play would have been to raise the river on a missed draw, but that takes balls and has to work fairly often to make it profitable. Players like myself can pull it off since I love to wait until the river to raise hands like AQ, but I can't speak for Myles b/c I don't know his MO in this hand. It would be interesting to hear his thoughts on what the plan was if he didn't find the OESD or a pair.

But you do it with 4-7s, so you obviously are doing it to outplay him post-flop.

No you are doing it to mix your play up. If he was trying to outplay him, he would have just called preflop with the intention of auto-raising the flop or turn. This is a silly strategy in online play unless you are also willing to just call preflop with big hands as well.

Brad
Old 10-17-2005, 11:49 PM

I would have called preflop but I'm often raising the flop (obviously I don't raise once I was capped preflop). I do this occasionally with a fairly wide range of hands, but I don't 3-bet 74s-type hands unless I really think he's just itching to fold to me postflop.

Rob
Old 10-17-2005, 11:54 PM

yeah this is like a never kind of thing for me, but i had folded several times here (i had also folded my SB when it was folded to me as well) and had a pretty rockish image. i did plan on him folding several flops. it just happened that this time he had a legitimate hand (JJ - and paid off with it nicely).
Old 10-18-2005, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah this is like a never kind of thing for me, but i had folded several times here (i had also folded my SB when it was folded to me as well) and had a pretty rockish image. i did plan on him folding several flops. it just happened that this time he had a legitimate hand (JJ - and paid off with it nicely).

[/ QUOTE ]

His river play sucks.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:18 AM

yeah, completely.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(JJ - and paid off with it nicely).

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha! I knew it!! Ok, maybe not.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:59 AM

Raise the turn to get him to put down a non-ace hand?

Edit: I see that you're of the opinion that he won't lay that down here... Okay then.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:43 AM

I personally like calling the low suited connectors preflop, I'd certainly reraise like A2s+, A4o+, K8o+, K6s+, any PP, and other hands as well...basically erring on the side of hands with showdown value unimproved. There's the deception thing, so I don't hate this play by any means, but you get a lot of "deception" from the fact that no one trusts anyone - meaning you can play hands straight up a lot of the time.

But, your PF 3-bet and his cap gave you odds to peel the flop, so rock on! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2005, 10:16 AM

Interesting hand.
Does anybody see value in raising the turn?
Old 10-18-2005, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But, your PF 3-bet and his cap gave you odds to peel the flop, so rock on! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, haha.