Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 10-17-2005, 11:57 AM

Default A bold play

SB just sat down 2 hands ago.
CO used the auto-raise button from the flop on. He had stats like 10/10/1.2 and I have seen him 3betting preflop one and then folding the turn when after an ace had flopped.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 7 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

River: (10 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises ???</font>

What do you think of raising here? (of course, comments on the other streets are apreciated aswell)

SB just sat down 2 hands ago.
CO used auto-raise button from the flop on. He had stats like 10/10 and I have seen him 3betting preflop one and then folding the turn when after an ace had flopped.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:06 PM

Default Re: A bold play

I kind of like donk betting the turn. If you've got the best hand you don't want to give CO a free one. I don't really like the river raise. What's SB betting into an aggressive player with? Probably not A6 or something. More likely a 2 or 66. Maybe a raise is good if you think that it will force CO to fold but I probably don't got the guts to do that. Maybe you just made a better play here than I would've.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:17 PM

Given your read on CO, you might be able to make him fold a better hand here. This looks sort of like a when-you-do-not-want-overcalls situation. SB's bet out of the blue is a little disturbing, but it's possible that he coul djust have a 9 or 88 or something else that he didn't want to see get checked through.

[ QUOTE ]
CO used the auto-raise button from the flop on

[/ QUOTE ]
This is always unnerving too.

I dunno -- I definitely don't hate this raise, but I'm not sure it's the right play in this situation...
Old 10-17-2005, 12:19 PM

I don't see CO folding a better hand here and he's twice as likely not to have a hand you fear anyway.

I think the raise just opens you up to 3 bets from both villians.

Hero's hand is good or it isn't. I CALL.

I'm so weak.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:19 PM

If he's been using the auto-raise button, I'd be more likely to fold this river than to raise it.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he's been using the auto-raise button, I'd be more likely to fold this river than to raise it.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's a good point. I didn't really think about it that he could just check it again on the river.

On the turn it might have been just the auto-bet button (not bet/raise any).
Anyhow, the use of autobuttonsis more uncommon on the river than on earlier streets.
So ignore this fact for once (e.g. assume it was a livegame and he was quickly moving his chips in to raise on the flop and river), what would you think than?
Old 10-17-2005, 12:38 PM

i would have check raised the flop. if i played it like you i'd fold the river. he's autobetting/raising, and really that card is the blankest ever. plus, i don't even like how we stand against SB here anyway.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:44 PM

What does a check raise accomplish here. You're getting more money in with a probable best hand but you can't protect your TP. I think betting out is better.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i would have check raised the flop. if i played it like you i'd fold the river. he's autobetting/raising, and really that card is the blankest ever. plus, i don't even like how we stand against SB here anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]
I bet so CO can raise me and drive others out.
I really didn't wanted to trap people with overs to my nines for two bets..
Old 10-17-2005, 01:00 PM

1. who says they have two overs to your 9s anyway?
2. they are making the same mistake as calling two cold when they call his bet and your raise. if you get them in with crappy hands, it's for value.
3. when you bet into him and he doesn't have you beaten, often he will only call and they will only be faced with a single bet anyway.

check raising allows you to get the most money in when you have the best hand. betting allows him to get the most money in when he has the best hand. yes, there are more considerations here (for instance, he can 3-bet the flop), but this is the bulk of my reasoning for check raising.