Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 10-02-2005, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Optimal VPIP and PFR% for 6-max NL ring?

[ QUOTE ]
What are some examples of making plays based on opponents? And any thing in particular to look for to take advantage of? This may warrant its own poker forum, library of books, lifelong study...

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-02-2005, 01:59 PM

I play $50NL, and I pay particular attention to how people bet, not just their bare stats. A guy minbetting all the time is not really aggressive, whereas a guy who always overbets the pot is.

I take note of a guy who's standard play is to overbet the pot (say $2.70 pot, guy bets $3). Then I let him take the lead betting and get him to bluff all the money to me. A lot of players are willing to try to push players out, but will run away if they meet resistance. Most of the time, you can call them down with top pair reasonable kicker and you'll see a lot of bluffs or mid/low pairs.

That being said, I'm trying to limp in a lot more. Unfortunately, I recently moved, and have to play at the library, so I can't keep track of my performance with PokerTracker, but I noticed that I'm seeing a ton of bad Aces and Kings calling me with top pair. I remember when I played the 20/7 strategy with continuation bets, all I'd see were sets and higher.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:21 AM

On Party Poker, a min. bet from early position on the flop is virtually always a ploy to try to get a cheap draw (usually a flush draw), or to get to the river cheaply with a cheese hand (bottom pair with a weak kicker, for instance). Some players use it as a trap, but most of the time, you can bet slightly more than pot after a min. bet and take the pot uncontested.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:58 AM

Depends on the table texture.

If you select for medium-high VP$iP, low PFR, low average pot tables (passive) then you can run over the table with a LAG 35%/15% style.

If you select for highest pot size that usually means you'll be in 'bear hunt' mode and might end up 18%/5% or sthg..

Also it's going to be easier to play TAG if you are playing 4 tables and easier to LAG it up if you are on just 2...

So are no 'optimal' figures when you can select the type and number of tables before you sit at them.