Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Optimal VPIP and PFR% for 6-max NL ring?

I'm around 30/22, but I don't think that's optimal [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2005, 04:15 PM

Er, yes basically although at NL50 you can get away with it to an extent because people do fold a fair bit. However you'll hit a streak where people actually have hand and lose a lot very quickly. Whats your acceptable hand range to get up to 45%?
Old 10-01-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whats your acceptable hand range to get up to 45%?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, you know the answer
Old 10-01-2005, 04:58 PM

hand range, lol... lets see.

any pair obviously.
AK-10o
A9-A2s
all SCs except 23s
a whole lot of suited 1 and 2 gappers, 810s, 46s etc.

basically i raise in position everytime and take down most pots with continuation bets.

People give me tons of action because of my style and will play for there whole stack with top pair. so ya know, it works for me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2005, 05:07 PM

I ran around 16/7 preflop all the way up to 3/6 6-max for a winrate around 8-10 PTBB/100. It's quite possible to win as a super-nit, and it's also possible to win as less of a nit (I play around 20/15 now). The important thing is making plays based on your opponents, so all of those "no reads" posts are the reason you're not winning as much as you could. If you pay attention to every player, it will make a lot more of a difference than watching your preflop standards.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I ran around 16/7 preflop all the way up to 3/6 6-max for a winrate around 8-10 PTBB/100. It's quite possible to win as a super-nit, and it's also possible to win as less of a nit (I play around 20/15 now). The important thing is making plays based on your opponents, so all of those "no reads" posts are the reason you're not winning as much as you could. If you pay attention to every player, it will make a lot more of a difference than watching your preflop standards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did they stop giving you action at 2/4 playing that tight at all? I think playing a 16/7 game is fine as long as you use good table selection.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm running about 26/19/5.0 at 400NL. The high PFR basically comes from isolating weaker players with marginal hands. The bigger the skill difference between you and the limper in front of you, the more hands you should raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I don't usually raise marginal hands to isolate limpers, I raise to isolate the blinds/steal the blinds. If a limper is in the pot I'm less likely to raise marginal hands.

Do you raise bad limpers from any position or just the button?

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising limpers is very good with tons of hands. Playing a bad player, who you know is bad and you know why they are bad (i.e. have a decent read on... calling station, LAG, whatever) with money in the pot and position is ++EV.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:34 AM

Edge is right on when he says that you have to pay attention to your opponents. As much as it would be nice if we could determine optimal playing strategy as a function of oppenents' x/y/z, and finding an optimal x/y/z of our own, the fact is that there is much more to a player. x/y/z is only scratching the surface. Your personal x/y/z will be a function of the types of games you are playing in, but when you are playing, you aren't thinking "I need to play this had to achieve my target x/y/z." Instead, you are hopefully thinking, "my opponent's x/y/z combined with the way I've seen him play prior hands indicates that _____ is the highest EV way to play my hand."

Regarding evaluating your own play, the most important statistic is ultimately the performance one, your BB/100. Unfortunately, this number doesn't converge until you've played at least 50,000 hands (more like 100,000+). I imagine there is already stuff posted somewhere on this topic, but if anyone is interested, I can post a calculation in a different thread showing why you need so many hands for a reliable BB/100.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent post. Preflop laginess cannot make up for lack of reads and bad postflop skills.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:57 PM

What are some examples of making plays based on opponents? And any thing in particular to look for to take advantage of? This may warrant its own thread.