Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2005, 07:09 AM

Default Re: $55 odd high blind hand

UTG should have JQs because that's the type of hands that loose UTGs play. He actually has QQ, see later

MP2 is a solid player, and has the same notes (although maybe a better taste in puzzles?) that you do. He knows that the button is going to min raise here, so he limps with his AA.

Villain, stupidly, has found a real hand. No min raise from him, his JJ is just too good for this situation, he wants the pot and he wants it now. He only min raises when bluffing.

Hero, finding this incredible, is looking at a pair of kings. He is licking his lips at this point and decides to push.
This is where we discover that UTG actually has QQ. He should have QJ, but it's a much better post if he has QQ, so he must have had QQ.

Everyone calls heros push, and the Jacks win, knocking everyone out of the tourney.

CO has a good day.

Lori (baffled, but I tried [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] )
Old 10-01-2005, 12:47 PM

The big fat problem is that it's not a puzzle that can be solved, and it actually shows that you can't from the notes you have and don't have. There's not enough information, not even close. If there's some info on what hands they push with then I can make an educated guess. In fact, the biggest clues in your post are not too much about that hand.

You said that UTG limped a few before. So what the hell can we put him on? Villain's push could be from a wide range of things, so I can only guess by eliminating the chances of what hands he could be holding by guessing what the other hands are (I.E. if someone has QQ, there's a very good chance that he does not have QQ).

You have QQ or AK. You say that mp2's limp threw you off a bit, which means you can't have aces and you probably don't have kings. If the hand interested you after 2 limps and an all-in, then you have a pretty big hand but not supremely confident about it. Unless you were trying to throw me off by the way you described it, in which case I don't have a chance in hell to guess any of the hands with that kind of misleading info.

Because this is an interesting hand, you called. Because you know what everyone had, everyone called. So UTG has aces, kings, or AK. mp2 probably called too, so he has aces, kings, or AK. Because it's so interesting, you probably won this hand when you had the best of it and wanted to see if you can read this kind of situation.

So, everyone had AK and you had queens. That's my guess.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have given us NO reason to believe this hand is odd. With the information we have, this hand looks thoroughly standard in every way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure how many $55s you have played, but in the 1000 or so I have played I have very rarely seen someone raise 7xbb over 2 limpers. I have seen lots of pushes, but few raises like that. Moreover, I thought raise was odd/interesting as it came from a constant min-raiser and it came over 2 limpers. Just wonder what that could mean?

Beyond that, I hope you have a good day and I am sorry I upset your poker senses so much.

Ryan

p.s. I had Q,Q. would you have folded, called or pushed. Calling seems stupid but then you think a raise of 7xbb is standard with blinds this high?
Old 10-01-2005, 05:44 PM

Default results

Wow is it interesting how angry everyone got that I thought this was interesting/thought provoking. I just happened to think the raise to t700 from villian was odd as I normally see a push when someone goes after the limpers.

I posted the hand the way I did because people are often fond of flaming this typed of hand because they assume you called/pushed and lost and thus it was a bad beat. Or, they flame you because you should have clearly seen that someone had A,A and you should have folded. Or, they flame you because you clearly had the best hand and should have pushed. Rather than getting that started I thought I should just see if anyone had seen a hand like this before.

I myself couldnt put utg on anything much as he had limped before. the limp from mp seemed week as you might limp with big pairs if you were opening, but you would have to raise with big pairs in that spot. Then there is the odd raise by the min-raiser/villian. for me it just didn't add up.

That said, I had Q,Q and folded. Utg and mp also folded and I walked away wondering if I did the right thing.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:47 PM

Thanks!!!! it's not right, but at least you think me an idiot for posting the puzzle. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ryan
Old 10-01-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Re: results

Well at least I got the QQ part right then...dude, this hand is not interesting in any way, shape or form.