Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 09-27-2005, 05:40 AM

Default Re: A set on 4-straight board

[ QUOTE ]

I don't remember any part in the book about inducing a river bluff-raise though but I guess that's exactly what I did.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love inducing bluff raises. Its a very underrated play.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:44 AM

a 1 agg factor isn't that "passive" for someone who plays 60% of hands. It means he's still making a lot of raises with hands that don't match up with the board that strongly, since if you're playing 60% of hands it's going to be quite often when your hand won't be hitting the board in a "strong," making you want to raise for value/protect your hand, type of way.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:47 AM

I think at 5/10 you are better of just value-betting-to-death as a standard play.

However, inducing bluffs is probably something I need to think about doing more.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:57 AM

I've been doing it more lately.

Experimenting with general meta-game type strategies and improving my heads-up play (at least I like to THINK I am improving my heads-up play).

I always used to be a pedal-to-the-medal chip-spewer to the nth degree.

Ultra high ag-factor.
Low win-rate, high variance, unintelligent and uncreative play.

mixing it up is now at the heart of my game just to get me to slow-down some of the time...which I am probably doing too much actually...but even that is an improvement over my previous methods.

Obviously it's also important to not get TOO carried away with fancy plays.
But I do believe there is plenty of room to mix it up (and mess with your opponents' heads a bit) even at 5/10 or even 3/6.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:08 AM

I've neen having similar thoughts recently.

In particular, I have been trying to make more meta-game type plays against players sitting next to me. E.g. you get more value for these plays against players where you are in BSB situations, and need to have some control over your opponent.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:31 AM

that's something I need to do more of too (doing this stuff to the players next to me).

But I've also done this to some guy across the table from me.
In 6-max it's common to just happen to have a lot of hands against some guy across the table from you (especially if he's 60/20'ish of course).

Lots of fun to put a move on the guy across the table from you after they start table-coaching and ranting-and-raving about how much you (or anyone else at the table for that matter) sucks.
When they are whining in the chat-box (or not even whining...but just took a couple of semi-beats...perhaps even showing the flopped 2-pair that someone cracked with their flush) there is a decent chance they are looking to put on some kind of play to take a pot with garbage.

(although I haven't investigated my success rate with this...it's more instinctual "that guy's semi-tilting. He's ready to try to steal a pot if I check to him').

but your way of focusing more on the players next to you might be best.

Seriously - I thought the 'inducing bluffs on the river' section in Weighing the Odds was pretty interesting stuff and recommend it.