Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker

Old 09-10-2005, 04:13 AM

Default What to do?

I'm sure you have heard this one before but I saw it for the first time tonight.... I fold A 7 off suit and the flop comes AAx. I'm kind of annoyed at folding the A because I'd been doing this all night (folding garbage then seeing a flop that would've made me a monster). Turn is a blank and then another A on the river. At this point I'm pretty unnerved just because and then after all the betting's done the guy to my right shows an Ace!! I say "wait a minute", and then pull my Ace out of the muck and it turns out that we've been playing with 54 cards (also an extra 9 in there for good measure) for about an hour and a half. I know we couldn't do anything about all the previous hands but what to do about the hand that just went down? chopped pot? replay the hand? we settled it amicably and it didn't really have any effect on the outcome of the tourney as it was a pretty small pot but I just wanted to get some of your thoughts. turned out that the goofball that counted the deck down before we started just plain old missed the extra 2 cards. I doubt anyone snuck an Ace or a 9 into the deck after we started, so I'm not really suspecting any kind of cheating.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:23 AM

Default Re: What to do?

I would say that you should call shenanigans and everyone in the hand in question should be refunded their money. If cheating is suspected, obviously things become more complicated.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:34 PM

Since it was a small pot I'd just let the guy with the quad aces take it down. I assume your ace was the extra one, or else he'd have noticed the duplicated suits.

If it was a big pot, I think the other guy has a legitamate argument that it should be declared a misdeal.

Since there is no suspected cheating, I'd fix the deck and proceed.

PG
Old 09-11-2005, 08:36 AM

if someone is cheating they are most likely the dumbest player in your game.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:19 PM

Learn to count better at the start, or maybe count twice [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

When I started playing poker, this situation came up. I had an old deck of cards set aside with a royal flush seperated. These fell on the floor and someone not knowing added them to the deck. My buddy was kinda mad when he made a full boat with two jacks of spades. I don't remember what we did to solve the problem at the time, but we've taken measures to ensure it doesn't happen again.

JMB
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2005, 03:49 PM

This has happened in our ring game ( two 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]). The solution we came up with was to "start over" -- we all got our original starting chips back. Not the best solutions, but what can you do: people were winning and losing with a crooked deck. But that's a ring limit game: no one busted, no rebuys yet that night. Don't know what I'd do in a tournament.

But I find it hard to believe that you played for an hour and a half without noticing an extra ACE -- people don't necessarily play deuces, but too many people play weak aces. I would think that someone would have noticed that the ace in his hand was the same suit as one on the board!
Old 09-12-2005, 01:16 PM

Technically, he has a dead hand. At a home game without a firm rule, I MIGHT allow the hand to stay in, unless he was the dealer.

If the card matched the board Ace, then his hand is definately dead.

One question- how could you get extra cards of the same back in there? Did no one count down the deck before the game? If the deck was confirmed good before the game, then someone's bringing cards in and I'd rule the hand dead.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:32 PM

kick is ass! jk. if you are losing, throw a tantrum. if you are ahead, shhhh