Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How much an hour do you make (including rakeback)? (choose closest amount)
I am still a breakeven or losing player 52 23.64%
$10/h 48 21.82%
$20/h 48 21.82%
$30/h 18 8.18%
$40/h 14 6.36%
$50/h 11 5.00%
$75/h 4 1.82%
$100/h 6 2.73%
$150/h 7 3.18%
$200+/h 12 5.45%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-2005, 01:49 PM

Default Re: MLB awards.. what about the ROY\'s?

[ QUOTE ]
The point you're trying to make may have been better stated by saying that Ichiro shouldn't have been eligible to win it. But he was. So he did.

[/ QUOTE ]

that is what I should have said.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well, back to my point, IMO matsui shouldnt have even been eligible.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason Matsui didn't win it is because there were baseball writers who did not vote for him because they felt he should not be eligible.

I think that if the player is on the ballot, that means he was in fact a rookie and should be considered. MLB should either not put them on the ballot or force the voter to consider them as a rookie.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When Matsui won it I didnt think it was quite right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lmao. But Matsui DIDN'T win ROY. Angel Berroa of the Royals did. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

1st Max | Season Results
Rk Name Team Place Points Points Share| AB H HR BA OPS SB| W-L IP ERA WHIP SO SV
+--+----------------+----+-----+------+------+-----+-----+---+--+-----+-----+---+------+---+-----+-----+---+--+
1 Angel Berroa KCR 12 88 140 0.63 | 567 163 17 .287 .789 21|
2 Hideki Matsui NYY 10 84 140 0.60 | 623 179 16 .287 .788 2|

[/ QUOTE ]

really? i always thought matsui won it. ive been wrong once or twice before.

lets play a little game called "where are they now?" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

well, back to my point, IMO matsui shouldnt have even been eligible.

[/ QUOTE ]
The point you're trying to make may have been better stated by saying that Ichiro shouldn't have been eligible to win it. But he was. So he did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ichiro should not have won the MVP in 2001 either, but that's another story. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] That should have been another Giambi MVP.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:20 PM

It's a joke that Jonny Gomes is not one of the choices. He leads all AL rookies in HR plus in only 260 ABs his OPS is .930 (!), in twice the sample size of Jeff Francoeur. He also has 5 SBs to boot. The only one close to Gomes is Huston Street, who I also like as a guy with a bright future, but I'd like Jonny to win it as nobody mentions him and I root for underdogs. King Felix had he pitched a full season would be in contention for Cy Young (let alone ROY)but he really hasn't pitched enough innings for me to give it to him.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a joke that Jonny Gomes is not one of the choices. He leads all AL rookies in HR plus in only 260 ABs his OPS is .930 (!), in twice the sample size of Jeff Francoeur. He also has 5 SBs to boot. The only one close to Gomes is Huston Street, who I also like as a guy with a bright future, but I'd like Jonny to win it as nobody mentions him and I root for underdogs. King Felix had he pitched a full season would be in contention for Cy Young (let alone ROY)but he really hasn't pitched enough innings for me to give it to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah, I figured there might be some candidates missing, but I just stole the list from a prop bet selection at Bodog. I figured they would have the 5-6 best contenders.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cano should not even be in the discussion for ROY. He is so undeserving it is not even funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

apart from having an awesome season and helping his team with some valuable service (replacing guys who shouldn't be there), how is he undeserving?
Old 09-08-2005, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cano should not even be in the discussion for ROY. He is so undeserving it is not even funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

apart from having an awesome season and helping his team with some valuable service (replacing guys who shouldn't be there), how is he undeserving?

[/ QUOTE ]

How is his season awesome? His 723 OPS doesn't put him in the top 5 of deserving rooks. He is having a decent season but he shouldn't even be considered.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:26 PM

ok, lets be serious. cano is not in this discussion. hes a good rookie hitter, and will probably turn out to be a solid 2b, but right now he has a low OBP and makes big defensive mistakes late in games. he can play 2b very well but when the pressure is on he looks like a rookie.

hes definitely got some skills, but hes not there yet.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How is his season awesome? His 723 OPS doesn't put him in the top 5 of deserving rooks. He is having a decent season but he shouldn't even be considered.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's ridiculous. this being a rookie award, every rookie should be considered.

of those you listed, only street, gomes and iguchi are having better seasons. (i don't buy that chacin and blanton are good, SP have a tendency to get "figured out", and other non-qualifying rookies like wang are arguably pitching better in bigger games). maybe adams, but i personally like cano better. plus cano is a true rookie. adams was called up last year. many people will say that iguchi should not be eligible (BS btw).

i don't think cano will win, or even should win, but he is having a better year than most rookies.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:57 AM

Also, Felix Hernandez does not have near enough starts, but he's been more dominant in his time played than any other rookie.