Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 10:29 AM

Default Picking off continuation bets

Fairly common situation...not sure if I am playing it smart.

200 NL 6 max.

I'm in the BB with QQ. Folded to fairly TAG, decent but not scary player on the button, who makes it 8 to go, SB folds, heads up.

With QQ/JJ or AK against an average player here I will usually(75%) just call here, hoping to pick up his continuation bet on the flop, and figuring he's not calling a reraise with anything I want him to have.

Flop ($~18) is J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], I'm fairly sure I'm ahead, I check and call the CB of $15.

Turn (~$48) 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I bet $30...

Ridiculously standard? Anyone raise the flop here? Anyone check the turn and hope for another bet?

What's the plan if the turn is A or K?
Old 08-31-2005, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Picking off continuation bets

why are you just calling then leading the turn? what if the turn gives him a free k or a, do u still lead it?
Old 08-31-2005, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why are you just calling then leading the turn? what if the turn gives him a free k or a, do u still lead it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm calling because I don't want to bloat the pot with 1 pair with a raise that he's not calling with anything I beat. I'm leading the turn because If he's behind he's not betting again (usually) and I don't want to give a free card.

How is he getting a free turn card? He bet the pot. If I wasn't fairly sure he would make a CB, I woould just lead the flop.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:34 AM

Raise the flop. The free card is too dangerous.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise the flop. The free card is too dangerous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, once he bets almost the full pot, the turn card is no longer free. He charged himself in effect. I think rasing the flop is silly against a TAG/decent player. He's not calling with anything I beat except MAYBE AJ. But he can have any 2 almost, he open-raised on the button.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Again, once he bets almost the full pot, the turn card is no longer free. He charged himself in effect. I think rasing the flop is silly against a TAG/decent player. He's not calling with anything I beat except MAYBE AJ. But he can have any 2 almost, he open-raised on the button.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there's a difference between HIM betting the flop rather than YOU betting the flop and charging him for that card. This could be a CB - but this could also be AA, KK, or even a set.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I think there's a difference between HIM betting the flop rather than YOU betting the flop and charging him for that card. This could be a CB - but this could also be AA, KK, or even a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, it could be, but cmon. What hand does a TAG need to open raise on the button in 6max? I need any 2 cards. If they messed up and only gave me 1 I would still raise. His flop bet is a CB most of the time.

I could raise the flop, but there's no way to put him on a hand...if he 3 bets me is it AJ or is it some raggy 2 pair he backed into on a steal attempt?
Old 08-31-2005, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Again, once he bets almost the full pot, the turn card is no longer free. He charged himself in effect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? What?
Old 08-31-2005, 10:57 AM

i dont think you understand, its free because your not making him pay for it, leading the turn is in essence raising on the flop but giving him a free card, id rather eliminate the free card and raise the flop to 45.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Again, once he bets almost the full pot, the turn card is no longer free. He charged himself in effect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? What?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok am I crazy? All I'm trying to here is not play a huge pot with 1 pair against a guy who could have anything. If I bet the flop he's folding when he missed, which he usually did, and I miss out on free CB money.

Are you guys saying I should raise the flop here? I don't get it.