Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 08-30-2005, 05:00 PM

Default struggling today... AQo flops TP

Party Poker 5.00/10.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (13.40 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, Hero?
Old 08-30-2005, 05:07 PM

Default Re: struggling today... AQo flops TP

WA/WB?
Old 08-30-2005, 05:10 PM

call down.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:11 PM

I call down, expecting to win this exactly the amount of times that this pot size dictates.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WA/WB?

[/ QUOTE ]

what is wa/wb?
Old 08-30-2005, 05:37 PM

Sorry, the way you played it here I think you have to call down. But WA/WB stands for way-ahead/way-behind and is a line that seems to be endorsed by 2+2'ers (i'm kind of newbie). When 3 bet by a reasonable villian, and you flop and ace, you are either way ahead, if has KK or QQ or JJ, or way behind, if he has AK or AA. So the WA/WB line is to check/call the flop, check/call the turn, and bet/call or bet/fold the river depending on your read of the villian. This line allows villian to continue bluffing with KK or QQ, and he will also likely call a river bet with those hands. And you lose as few bets as possible if villian has AK or AA.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:45 PM

Problem is the flop has a Q, not an A. Check raising the flop here is fine, we have value and need to protect our hand. Once he 3 bets we're usually behind (not way behind since way behind usually has 2 or 3 outs) or splitting and should just call down since we'll be ahead enough times to warrant it.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:55 PM

Yeah you're right about it not really being WA/WB b/c it is a queen and not an ace. And it's not HU. I am stupid. I guess I was really thinking of something from HFAP when you raise with QQ and get three bet, and how to play that (i.e.you are up against AK, AA, or KK). Basically the concept is that you don't really care about giving free cards b/c you might already be behind. I was kind of thinking in those terms, there a lot of three betting hands that beat you and some that you beat, so just see a showdown cheaply. Way off base?
Old 08-30-2005, 06:00 PM

I'm betting this flop.

You are only vulnerable to K's. Players in between you and the pre-flop three-bettor will likely be mistaken in calling bets on the flop unless they have legit draws. You can also possibly three-bet if raised behind you and get some dead money in the pot.

Check-raising this flop simply seems likely to force out the players you want putting money in and get you heads-up with the opponent who is most likely to have you beaten.

As played call down. I don't like anything fancier, like donk-folding the turn or something, because you still have a bunch of outs against KK and a couple against AA.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:15 PM

what hands are we trying to protect our hand from?

bet the flop.